PDA

View Full Version : May fishing in Feb.

Travis C.
02-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Finally a couple hours to shake some cabin fever off at Old Hickory. So I took the little one and my 5wt over to a place I usually catch crappie but they were no where to be found. As she munched fishy crackers I noticed a couple what looked like root balls or some sunk wood out in the water. They had never been there that I remembered. Regardless, I lobbed my float -n-trout magnet over to them. No sooner than it hit the water it went under and it was like that for over an hour and half. There were no real size to the bluegill maybe could have had 8 or 10 clean worthy but I literally stopped counting at 30.

Of course the little one had to touch each fish and giggle then out of the kindness of her heart offered a few some fishy crackers. Not sure what the fish thought about that.... :D

Travis C.
02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
This about the average size a few bigger and few smaller. Fun on a 5wt for sure.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/IMG_2709-1.jpg

ALANRAYG2
02-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Do you have any idea why they were so tightly bunched? were they spawning?
I think it is way to early for that to happen. Glad to hear you had a great day out with the little one.

sterling21
02-02-2012, 07:04 PM
They were prob schooling on shad there is still big bait balls out there . We havent had a bad winter to help kill any of these off so they are in big schools right now feeding.

Tennesseejugger
02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Finally a couple hours to shake some cabin fever off at Old Hickory. So I took the little one and my 5wt over to a place I usually catch crappie but they were no where to be found. As she munched fishy crackers I noticed a couple what looked like root balls or some sunk wood out in the water. They had never been there that I remembered. Regardless, I lobbed my float -n-trout magnet over to them. No sooner than it hit the water it went under and it was like that for over an hour and half. There were no real size to the bluegill maybe could have had 8 or 10 clean worthy but I literally stopped counting at 30.

Of course the little one had to touch each fish and giggle then out of the kindness of her heart offered a few some fishy crackers. Not sure what the fish thought about that.... :D
What is a 5wt?

txnative
02-02-2012, 08:45 PM
5 wt=5 weight fly rod. Fly rods are designated as "weights" instead of "strength" or "power." A 5 wt is used for trout and panfish the most, equivalent to a medium-light. It (weight rating) refers to the weight of the line a rod is designed for, since flycasting relies on the weight of the line, not the fly, to achieve distance.

Chris

Travis C.
02-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Do you have any idea why they were so tightly bunched? were they spawning?
I think it is way to early for that to happen. Glad to hear you had a great day out with the little one.

No idea other than that cover and probably what sterling said about the baitfish.

Sure was fun though.

txnative
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
They may have been enjoying the warmth of the sun-heated wood. This winter has been strange. I saw a lot of bluegill sunning near banks in ponds as I was working today. One person's pond had bluegill feeding on bugs washed in by the rain. They were doing a "bluegill blitz" tight to the banks.

Chris

Travis C.
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
I had intended on trying several diffferent nymphs to see if any bigger bluegill were around the crappie spot prior to finding these. Sure made it hard to change watchin the indicator take a dive each cast.

It was as close to fishing with crickets as one could get. Of course now I will get a little greedy and say too bad there wasn't size to them...:D

Won't complain... could have caught nothing.

Wish dad had been with me. He picked up a fly rod intending on using it for bluegill with maybe some fishing for trout. So far he has only caught a few creek minnows on it.

txnative
02-02-2012, 09:36 PM
If this rain would let up, the stones has a spot where stocker trout group up. It doesn't see much pressure and the trout seem suicidal for a white sz 10 or 12 beadhead wooly bugger. I'll pm you the specifics.

Chris

Travis C.
02-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Do you know if you can wade any down from the Dam at Percy on low water?

All I have ever fished down there was at the bridge just below. Having the ability to wade to some fish down there would make it more interesting. I have stayed away from the winter stockings there because of elbow room on the bank.

txnative
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
You can. Once you get thru the hole just past the I-40 bridge, there's a run that holds trout. I wouldn't fish anywhere but there and would have a lot of hungry trout to myself from 8 am till dark whenever I went. I've found other places to satisfy my trout cravings now, especially since the water has been high the last few winters.

Chris

Alphahawk
02-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Travis...the day I tore my rotator cuff even though I was in a little pain from that I continued to fish at Pickwick that day. I was catching Crappie but came upon a spot where cast after cast were big Bluegill. I mean it was just like finding a bed of them in the Spring. That was a little unusual for December. Talked to my Crappie fishing buddies down there this past Friday. They had been trying to locate me as they thought I had died or something...LOL. They had not seen me since mid December. In our conversation I asked about our Crappie hole. Was told the water was so high they could not get to the Crappie hole. But they told me that everyday for the past two weeks they were fishing on generator side at TVA boat ramp and were catching around 100 White Bass a day...all of them big sows in the 2 to 3 pound range. Now you can catch White Bass year round down there...but the activity they are having is not common for this time of year there. I don't know if it is because the water is not as cold as it usually is this time of year or what. But sitting home and watching 10 hours of fishing shows I have learned things I did not know but am sure many do know. Learned that any specie of fish can go into pre-spawn as much as 3 months ahead of spawn and sometimes even longer. That may be what is happening with the Bluegill...White Bass and other fish. I know I need to get back out there and find out...LOL.

Regards