PDA

View Full Version : Dale hollow recent reports ?

txnative
02-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Headed to dh this weekend and was wondering if anyone had or knew where to find recent reports on bronzeback fishing. Thanks.

Chris

Travis C.
02-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Check the float n fly thread.

Thats the most recent I know of.

Travis C.
02-01-2012, 08:47 PM
most recent temps/reports from smalljaw forum

Posted - 02/01/2012 : 18:35:18
One of those days you are expecting the best bite of a lifetime.
Low misty fog with clouds, sometimes less than 1/4 mile visability,
water glass like mostly to a slight ripple. 47 temp around state park. This area has stained conditions. I tried to concentrate on where I thought the bigger bite might be just didnt happend. Fished the flats off the channel bends, grass close to deep water. Also drifted some red clay with broken rock. Ended up on a grass hump behind Trooper. Couple over 20. nothing heavy.

Posted - 01/31/2012 : 21:13:27
Caught a few fish the last two days, 5 of them broke 4lbs. The bite was pretty shy and all the good fish came on main lake points. Water temp was 46 most everywhere. Pretty windy but still great weather for late January!

txnative
02-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks, Travis. I'll return the favor whenever I can.

Chris

Travis C.
02-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Also seemed like I read in several places on SmallJaw that a swimbait was a lure of choice. I believe 3" big hammers in particular on one thread allowing it to sink to the bottom then retreive slowly.

I am sure the FnF will work too but I do remember more than one guy talking swimbaits.

Good luck I love that water up there. Fish the Obey whole bunch not so much other side but that will change.

agelesssone
02-02-2012, 12:26 AM
The best bite LAST weekend came on the river ledges. That was because they were pulling water.

Look at the generation schedules and see what's up with that. The guys posted that they threw hammers exclusively and in four hours caught 22 fish.

We, on the other hand, fished bluff walls with live shiners (Accordian bluffs was our best place) and only caught two fish in about 7 hours and that's three guys fishing.

The float and fly didn't fare well that weekend according to me (fished it for six hours first day with NO downs) and only saw one other post that caught one fish that weekend on the fnf.

Good luck, Chris. It seems like Horse Creek was the place to be and if I were to go, that is where I would be heading.

txnative
02-06-2012, 10:47 AM
2/5/12 report:

Launched our kayaks at cedar hill marina around 7:30 am. I started at a clay bank with vegetation in 16-21 fow. Threw a swimbait to no avail, but a shiner I was freelining got nailed. I set the hook and the fish hit the afterburners. Never saw it, but by the way it peeled off line, I knew it was a good fish.

Switched to bluffs an hour later. I was using shiners with a light steel split-shot about 18" up the line. I was in 45 fow and casting tight to the bluff, then letting the shiner do its' thing. I landed 3, and missed 1. My best fish was over 5 lbs. I used 10 lb test berkley vanish fluoro and sz 2 owner Mutu light circle hooks. The fished I missed was my fault, I pulled the shiner away from it. Not a bad day, and my 'yak-fishing partners had 3 more fish to add to the total.

Chris

Travis C.
02-06-2012, 10:50 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun.

Did you notice any trout out dimpling the water? It should be more than cool enough for them to hang in the top water column now.

How much water you guys cover in the yaks?

txnative
02-07-2012, 06:44 AM
No dimpling, but saw a few aggressive blow-ups. I'm assuming the fish that smoked me was a rainbow...big rainbow. The most I've done on a lake is about 9 miles. My longest float is about 10 miles. On average, I'd guess 4-5 miles is normal, for me, anyways. If I find fish, I move a lot less. On rivers, I tend to cover more water, but I will stop at good-looking spots to fish them more thoroughly.

Chris

fishfindergeneral
02-07-2012, 08:13 PM
The bows in Dale generally go air born quick this time of year. It could have also been a large smallie or the hardest fighting fish in the lake, a drum.... We see them most trips this time of year.

bd-
02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Hey FFG, what's the surface temp running on Dale Hollow now? This has been such a weird winter - I'm wondering if it finally cooled down up there.

bd

Travis C.
02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Hey FFG, what's the surface temp running on Dale Hollow now? This has been such a weird winter - I'm wondering if it finally cooled down up there.

bd

It had been around upper 40's