PDA

View Full Version : Update for TK and others...rotator cuff.

Alphahawk
01-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Am coming along slowly. The surgery came out fine. But started having heart problems and anesthetist told him he had to hurry.....so doc had to abandon scope and cut about a 6 inch opening down shoulder. The tendon was tore one inch from the shoulder. It was stretched and attached somewhere in a groove cut in the bone??? Too much for me to figure out. Was told that by 8:00AM Friday morning block would wear off and to start pain pills about 5:00AM. Did not listen...waited until pain started and then started pain meds...if you have this done don't do that. Did not get control of pain until sometime late Saturday night. I mean screaming pain and 3 and 4 Percocets taken at once would not stop it. Have had some pain everyday since December 29. Was told on post-op visit that rotator tears are more painful than any joint replacement...he tells me after...LOL. Am going to PT 3 days a week. Should be able to crank a reel on February 10th. But no lifting for about a year. So had to buy kayak loader bar. Have been getting ready for that day..new fishing shirts..jackets...rods...reels...LOL. This is costing me money. I can crank a reel as have spooled up some reels. But I am not sure how long it will be to get full use of arm back...doc says maybe a full year. Anyway..am very blessed. Chomping at bit to get back on the water. Been watching fishing shows everyday..LOL....regards.

Travis C.
01-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Glad to see you are starting the road to recovery and they were able to fix your shoulder.

If you need some motivation and inspiration fishing watch KY Afield(nations longest running outdoors show) with host Tim Farmer. He lost the use of his right arm in the 80's and he continues to be an excellent hunter/fisherman. He does a great job on the show and I try to catch it every week.

The show comes on Saturdays around 1030 or 11am on Npt2.

http://fw.ky.gov/kyafieldtvhost.asp

tkwalker
01-20-2012, 12:56 PM
AHawk, thanks for the update ... sorry had to have the knife , I had a similar situation with a gall bladder .. Hospitalized for 6 days ... Worse with a knee , it took me 18 months to get over it (like you I was told after the fact !!!) ... Well I think you have told me what I want to know ... You have substantuated what I have heard from others ...

I tore my left one about 5 years ago and took formal PT for it and no surgery ... I have about 75% use of it overhead but no pain ... I tore the right one this summer I do have pain with it and have to support my arm to lower it from a raised position ... And not much strength ... I wore this one out throwing cast nets and it finally went pulling on old outboards ... I am doing a little PT with it at the fitness center.... As long as I keep my arms down below my waist everything is fine .... I have to use two hands to pull the outboards now ... Also I can't pick up a gallon of milk off of the kitchen table to pour it with my right arm ... I will see what happens down the road ...

Now as far as my fishing goes ... I just returned from MN after buying a (Walleye boat) Alumacraft 170 CS ... I think my casting days are over but the wife and I really like to troll and fish for Walleyes!!!

Keep watching your videos ... Cabin fever can be Hell sometimes especially if you have pain to go with it .... <'TK>< :p

butts0907
01-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Alphahawk,

I had shoulder surgery back in high school from a football injury. Being a teenager and knowing more than the doctor, I took the rehab recommendations with a grain of salt and attended about half of the PT sessions I needed to and began using the shoulder, as I had always used it, a few months before I was cleared. I felt confident I was right and the doctor was wrong when no pain resulted from me skipping PT and going full speed before I should have. However, my shoulder came back out (the first time) a couple of years later. I later learned the rehab was to strengthen the muscles and crap around your shoulder which would help the shoulder heal properly. Fast forward almost 20 years and my shoulder has popped out of place too many times to count and I still have to be careful about what I do and how I do it. My advice: go to every PT session and do NOT use the thing until you've been cleared. You'll feel like you're ready to go well before that date, but do your best to hold off...trust me on this one!!

Good luck with the rehab!!

eaglestrike09
01-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Yep us old guys are falling apart, but they can put us back togather!!!!
Hope to see some more of your crappie pics soon!!!!

Tennoutdrsman
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery!

Ken C
01-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Been through the surgery myself. The rehab will get easier as you go. If you want to see an inspirational fisherman, and you have never heard of Clay Dyer, check out this video and others on youtube. He may be the most amazing person of his generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob5QHcCGR_g

tkwalker
01-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks, that was great. Great .... <'TK>< ;)

tjustin
01-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Glad to see you are starting the road to recovery and they were able to fix your shoulder.

If you need some motivation and inspiration fishing watch KY Afield(nations longest running outdoors show) with host Tim Farmer. He lost the use of his right arm in the 80's and he continues to be an excellent hunter/fisherman. He does a great job on the show and I try to catch it every week.

The show comes on Saturdays around 1030 or 11am on Npt2.

http://fw.ky.gov/kyafieldtvhost.asp

You can also catch KY Afield shows on youtube under KYAfields .

Alphahawk
01-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks for words of encouragement guys. I have been watching the KY fishing show a couple of you have talked about..I have watched more fishing shows in the last 3 weeks than in my whole lifetime....LOL. Won't be long and the doc says I can crank..and crank only with that arm. So am continuing to get gear ready..spend money on new gear...go to stop that though...LOL. Hope to have a fishing report and some pics up in about a month.

Regards

StriperFan
01-25-2012, 04:29 PM
I had wondered what happened to ya. You went from almost daily updates to none. Glad to hear your on the rebound.