PDA

View Full Version : Urban Trout 01/01/12

Travis C.
01-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Decided to start the year off on the right foot....with rod in hand.

Two of my "Resolutions" were to fly fish more and fish more with my dad. So, since he has a new fly setup wanting to learn the sport we went out to an urban stocking and gave it a go. After about 4 hours of steady wind and dad getting a lot better throughout with his rollcast we called it a day. I only managed a few creek chubs and he caught his first fish on a fly rod...a couple more creek chubs. We thought the trout weren't in any mood to play that was until a guy walking down the greenway said the fish were further up. In years past, the fish were in the spot we tried but I guess haven't moved out of the deep hole above there yet.

All in all great trip with dad. Seeing his excitement over making a good cast, the indicator diving under, setting the hook and bringing even a chub to hand was more than I could have asked for.

Can't wait to go again...this time we'll explore a bit further.

jaystaler88
01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Sounds like a great time. I've never caught chubs on a fly rod, may have to give that a shot. I did used to catch them on rooster tails and small jigs in a highly polluted stretch of Richland Creek near St. Thomas hospital when I was younger. Despite all the shopping carts and plastic bags floating around, there were actually good numbers of fish in there

Travis C.
01-04-2012, 03:00 PM
They were fun and I like everyone else wants to catch big fish but sometimes a bend in the rod is a bend in the rod.

Anything that bites is great for confidence when someone is new to fly fishing.

bd-
01-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Some of those little creeks that are full of shiners are fun. You go for 45 minutes getting hit after hit from 2 and 3 inch minnows, and then suddenly a 9 inch trout hits your fly, and it's like you've hooked into a ten pounder.

bd