PDA

View Full Version : harpeth trout stockings

MattC
12-06-2011, 09:06 PM
anyone ever fished one of these?

Adough
12-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I've been after the fact but, never on stocking day. I do plan on getting my trout stamp Friday so I can possibly hit it up sat or sun. I hear it's pretty competitive on dump day. There is minimal shore fishing on a good day on that section of the Harpeth. Water is running high at 7ft right now. So if you go plan accordingly.

Adough
12-10-2011, 11:25 AM
My friend and I went last night under the full moon from 10pm-12am. It was cold but, the trout were biting. Several keepers around 10inches. It was very very cold though.

MattC
12-10-2011, 05:48 PM
i would love to go catch some trout on the harpeth as i have just become hooked on fly fishing. could you pm me where these stockings take place and possible spots.

bd-
12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Here is a map.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/gis/troutpdf/HarpethRiverFranklin.pdf

Most of the stretch of the Harpeth that runs along Lewisburg Pike will have some fish. You will see a lowhead dam - they usually put the trout in just below it, so fish from there downstream.

bd

wordty
12-10-2011, 09:41 PM
It is what they call "shoulder to shoulder" - lots of getting tangled in other people's lines...tries your patience for sure...I usually get frustrated and leave.

Adough
12-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Matt, it's no secret where they release them. No need for a PM! :) It is, however, not a well marked spot. It's a gravel lot without a clear entrance. It's a lotta fun though!

MattC
12-10-2011, 09:52 PM
thanks for the info guys. I want to try to go sometime between now and christmas. will the water be high? what flies are usually successful?

bd-
12-12-2011, 02:41 PM
The water there fluctuates a lot depending on the rain. As long as we don't get any big downpours it shouldn't be too high.

It can get crowded on the nice days, but there are a lot of fair-weather fishermen that turn out for the winter-stocked trout. If you can get a day that's a little cloudy or colder, it thins the people out a whole lot.

The usual patterns for recently-stocked trout will work - try a big pheasant tail or a prince nymph - maybe a #14 or #12. If that doesn't work, a wooly bugger or a clouser minnow with a lot of flash will usually produce some fish.

There also are times when soft hackles will work well if you can find a pod of fish concentrated tightly in a feeding lane. Just let it swing down-current and hang for a bit before you strip it back. The old "eat at chuck's" pattern (partridge soft hackle with purple floss and a red or gold rib) is a good one for this.

bd

Alphahawk
12-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Don't know where you live but if you are after stockers a drive down to Normandy would be a lot of fun for you...if the water gets to 150CFS or less. Nowhere near the crowds...tons of fish...lots of different type fishing situations...riffles..deep pools...shallow runs. Just a nice place to fish.

Regards