PDA

View Full Version : Looking for more local spots...

ninjaparade
11-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi all,

I've only been in Nashville a few years and just recently discovered Caney Fork. I'm originally from around Kentucky Lake, so I was more used to catfish on the lake than trout on the river. First year I've gotten waders and I have to say I've really enjoyed it.

That being said, it looks like Center Hill will be generating 24hr a day for a while, which kills my hopes of getting on the water this weekend. I'm not much for floating or canoeing as I'm still just learning the areas.

Anyone have suggestions on some decent spots to check out? Thanks!! Looking forward to learning a thing or two from you guys and gals as I continue on with spinner and attempt to learn fly fishing once it warms back up a bit.

EDIT: It looks like Elk River may be the only viable options with low enough waters to wade. Temp's forecasted at 40/58. Any thoughts on this or suggestions for access points?

Travis C.
11-29-2011, 05:43 PM
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/StreamRiver/stockedtrout/stockedtrout.html

These will open up soon as they start the annual winter program.

The Caney unfortunately is out for a while. The Elk can be misleading on what is actually running on the forecast. They have been running during the week then off on the weekend.

Below Normandy (Duck River) has its trout now through spring.

If you just want to get wet and continue to learn fly fishing, by all means hit a local creek. You won't be chasing trout but you can still learn from plenty of eager red-eyes, smallies, bluegills and what ever else is in there. It may not be as good as during the warmer months but that will be good practice as well because trout can be pretty picky some days. You can use a lot of the same flies as well.

bd-
11-29-2011, 07:31 PM
With all the rain we're having, the Caney is going to be out of commission for at least a month and probably longer. Their target elevation above the dam is usually 618 feet above mean sea level this time of year, and right now they are at 638 and rising. It's looking like it's going to be another wet winter, so the Caney probably won't be an option for a while.

The Elk has had a few low-water times here and there, but for the most part they've been running at least one generator most of the day with just an hour or two off during the day. That's not really going to give you much wadable water.

Sometimes you can get some days without generation on the Obey below Dale Hollow Dam. They tend to lighten up generation there in the winter sometimes. That's a place to keep an eye on.

Other than that, the creeks stocked in the winter are your best local option for trout. I'm not really keen on hitting the local creeks for warmwater species in the winter. It's fun when it's warm, but once the winter cold really hits, the bass, bluegill, and redeye tend to hunker down in the deep holes and not eat a lot.

If you have a boat, the Gallatin Steam Plant can be fun with a sink tip line and a streamer. It takes a little getting used to for a beginner, but you can catch skipjack, small stripers, white bass, and a variety of other fish.

Beyond that, your best option is to block off a weekend and head east. The area around Gatlinburg actually has some trout streams that fish very well even in the winter. The Tellico area can be good too but it's much more hit and miss.

bd

randy10357
11-29-2011, 08:01 PM
I have to agree on the creeks. I have fished Mill Creek in Davidson County as well as the Little Harpeth and others with great success in the warm weather months but have never caught any during the winter months.

A really good spot to try is Nices Mill just outside Smyrna. There is room to wade out and flyfish and there are lots of stocker trout during the winter. I have caught limits in as little as one hour. Great place to improve your flyfishing skills.

bd-
11-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Nice's Mill is probably a little high for safe wading right now too, unfortunately.

bd

randy10357
11-29-2011, 10:23 PM
bd

You are absolutely correct about water levels. I meant when the water is at normal flow.

I am not sure where a person could go in the next week without encountering high water level.

I was hoping to try OH this weekend but it might be a good time to do honey-dos and boat maintenience. :)

ninjaparade
11-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like without a boat, I'll either be finding a creek or hitting the backyard for some more casting practice this weekend. Maybe I can dig up some info on a creek or two near Murfreesboro and see what I can land.

Are any of these rivers plausible for shore fishing if I just resort to taking the spinner reel instead of the fly rig? Although, I don't really know a lot about lures for this time of year, so that might be difficult.

So, so much to learn, so few resources. :( I just want to catch some fish!

bd-
11-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Below Old Hickory Dam, you can cast a spinning rod with a fairly heavy leadhead (at least 1/4 oz. and preferably more) and curly tail grub and catch sauger and white bass. You can fly fish there too a bit, but with the current you really need a sinking line, and the steep bank makes it hard to get enough room for a decent back cast.

Unfortunately, Old Hickory is running 50,000 CFS right now, which is pretty much an impossible amount of water to fish. You'll want to watch the Corps of Engineers website and wait for it to come down to around 30,000 or less before it's really fishable.

You could go to Nice's Mill and bring both a fly rod plus a spinning rod rigged with a rooster tail. If the water is still too high and fast to wade, you could cast the spinner and maybe pick up a trout or two. Nice's Mill isn't far from Murfreesboro.

bd

Travis C.
11-30-2011, 02:49 PM
I am not sure where a person could go in the next week without encountering high water level.

:)

Ponds... will not be too high to fish.

There are a blue million out there and if you are nice enough to ask several will allow you to fish in them. Plus offer to clean up some for them or show that you will not be a liability.

Also look up metro parks or your cities parks. I know I have fished in Centennial, Two Rivers, Shelby, Cedar Hill and there are others.

Plus most golf courses as long as you ask and are off by first tee time in the mornings will allow you to fish. A buddy of mine caught several bass over 6lbs and 1 close to 10lbs on frogs at a golf course near me. He also put one in Bass Pro's tank a couple years ago that was 10lbs out of a pond even closer to me.

Travis C.
11-30-2011, 03:00 PM
The creeks will be tough fishing but that is to your benefit for those days when trout are in the moods they get into that piss you off... :D

However that said most creeks either all fish will be in the deepest hole (which takes a lot of guess work out for you) or since the water isn't as deep sunny winter days will warm them a few degrees. That makes fish a little more active. Get a sunny day after a rain when the water is murky and you'll notice a big bump in temp from previous clear cold days.

I'd use a creek to practice my dead drifting nymphs along the bottom and root balls for when the time comes to go after trout. It will also aid in your casting due to over hanging trees and roll casts.

ninjaparade
11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks all, more great advice that was just what I was hoping for. Tentatively, I think I'll try to head to Nice's Mill Saturday morning if I can steal away from the house and then scout out some creeks and ponds Sunday. With any luck, maybe I'll have some fish for dinner. :)

bd-
11-30-2011, 05:35 PM
The lake at Shelby Bottoms Park will get stocked with trout December 6. It gets a little crowded, and it's not the prettiest place to fish, but if you just want to wet a line, you can take a flyrod out there and catch a few.

A wooly bugger or a clouser minnow is usually the best fly - just cast it out and swim it back slow like a jig.

bd

Tennesseejugger
12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Go below Percy priest Dam and wade the Stones River, plenty of trout there.