PDA

View Full Version : oh dam spillways???

nofish
11-28-2011, 05:46 PM
are the spillways open at the dam? i just saw on the news what i think was a recent shot of riverfront downtown and the water is up over the walkways and halfway up the rails. i see they have 2 or more generators planned for tomorrow and at 2pm today they were pushing 47,200cfs. i just want to know if the spillways are open on top of that release and if so is it still reasonably safe if you're not a moron to fish from a boat. i think i'm probably going to drive down there in the next hour or so to check it out. i keep my boat close to lakewood and it needs to be put on the charger anyway. i just don't want to go down there from south nashville and have to turn around and come back, but i'm not down for fishing in dangerous conditions either.

if anyone has been fishing below the dam in the last 24hrs how's the fishing? i'm just going to try and fill my cooler with skipjacks, but it'd be nice to get into some good fish.

nofish
11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
sorry i'm longwinded. i plan on going tomorrow if all is well.

nofish
11-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Got the boat charging. Going to check out the dam.

nofish
11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
They're moving some water for sure. The water is halfway up the lock wall compared to black Friday and it looks like at least one spillway gate is at least halfway open, maybe 2. It doesn't look to bad to fish at this point. I'm sure it could be by tomorrow.

Im not sure how it works in the fall, but the conditions would look ripe for summertime stripers. Over the later part of summer with the conditions just like this minus the high water level I was wearing the skipjack out between the spillway and lock discharge while the other boats around me were catching stripers.

Jim
11-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Not to be a killjoy, but almost 50,000 cfs is a lot of water. Things can get real dangerous real fast below a dam and that much water does not leave much room for error.

Plus with the falling and now cool water temps, most fish are not restricted to the high oxygen water just below the dam like during the heat of the summer, so they can roam all over the river.

I am not saying there are no fish below the dam right now, just that there are fish in many safer places to fish.

Good luck if you go and stay safe,
Jim

nofish
11-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks Jim. I went today to check it out again and it looked way worse in the daylightthen it did at night so I fished from the bank. I didn't do any good. There were a ton of birds picking up small to large shad out in the middle.

I saw a barge come out of the lock going downstream and when he hit the current it looked like he hit the nitrous button.