PDA

View Full Version : OHD sauger/walleye

txnative
11-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Does anyone have any reports of sauger/walleye moving up below OH Dam or Cordell hull yet? Thanks.

Chris

whrizob
11-20-2011, 11:33 AM
I know this doesn't answer your question, bc I haven't tried. But we usually don't start fishing for them till middle of dec with our best results in jan? I would think it is a little early for them. But that's just from experience, and I'm no suager expert at all.

TNtransplant08
11-20-2011, 12:10 PM
I went bank fishing there on Friday. I've been craving them for the pan so I thought is see if they were there. I arrived just after sun up and they had three generators going, including two closest to the bank. Unfortunately, I pretty much got skunked. All I managed to catch was three skipjacks and I fished until 11:00. I was surprised. I thought with the increased flow, the fish would be more active.

thehick176
11-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Fish there Saturday from sunrise to around noon. Pretty slow considering they had 3 generators pushing around 19,000 cfs. Little more than what i prefer but we did catch some decent largemouth and spots. We finished up trolling bandit 300's for sauger and had one on before it came unbuttoned halfway to the boat. Also, didnt see many shad or skipjack at all. No bait=no fish right?
As far as what time of year is best for sauger/walleye, below OHD i have caught them as early as August and as late as April. I guess it's all in how much time you want to put into fishing for them.

Travis C.
11-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I know this doesn't answer your question, bc I haven't tried. But we usually don't start fishing for them till middle of dec with our best results in jan? I would think it is a little early for them. But that's just from experience, and I'm no suager expert at all.

You finally getting tired of hunting and started pokin around the fishing forum again? :D

TNtransplant08
11-22-2011, 07:54 PM
I'll be heading down there tomorrow morning on the hendersonville side if anyone wants to join me. Dunno if its gonna be any good but I figured I'll at least try.

TNtransplant08
11-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Just checked the tva website and they are releasing 31,000 cfs, which is perfect for me. I'm pretty pumped to go now! Hopefully the fish are there.

nofish
11-26-2011, 07:19 PM
How'd you do? I saw a few boats jigging for saugers on black Friday by the lock wall on the old hickory side. Didn't see them catch any but I wasn't there that long and a barge came through and ran them off.

TNtransplant08
11-26-2011, 11:41 PM
How'd you do? I saw a few boats jigging for saugers on black Friday by the lock wall on the old hickory side. Didn't see them catch any but I wasn't there that long and a barge came through and ran them off.

I didn't do that great. I arrived just before sunup and called it quits at 9:30. I only caught two skipjacks. I saw plenty of baitfish so I thought I'd at least catch some white bass in my usual spots. They just weren't there. Perhaps just before sunset is better for now?

nofish
11-28-2011, 10:35 AM
I didn't do that great. I arrived just before sunup and called it quits at 9:30. I only caught two skipjacks. I saw plenty of baitfish so I thought I'd at least catch some white bass in my usual spots. They just weren't there. Perhaps just before sunset is better for now?

Do you think if I took my boat down there I could fill a cooler with skipjacks? Im figuring that if you caught 2 from the shore by accident I could probably do pretty good targeting them. I bought a deep freezer a few months ago specifically for skippie storage and I've been out for awhile. Everytime I would get into them I would have to leave for whatever reason so I never got a good stockpile of them.