PDA

View Full Version : Below Old Hickory Dam

randy10357
11-15-2011, 05:31 PM
I know wher to catch shad with a castnet at the Gallatin Steam Plant but am wanting to try fishing below Old Hickory Dam.

Any suggestions on spots to catch shad down there?

randy10357
11-15-2011, 08:51 PM
I guess I should clarify...I have fished from the bank below OHD off and on all my life but have never fished below the dam by boat. Don't want specific spots, just an idea of where to start. I was thinking along the wing wall...

fairweatherfisherman
11-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Not Old Hickory specific, but I toss the net along the wall of the powerhouse away from the turbines, along the flood gates, and along the lock walls. Currents seem to concentrate them in certain areas, but that can change from day to day.

Don't throw in a heavy current area unless you have someone with you who can help you if you get hung up. Also don't tie the end of the line to your arm when throwing in the current, because if the net gets hung, it can separate you from your boat in an undesirable way. A buddy of mine got in bad trouble below the Nick one time. Luckily another boat helped him out.

randy10357
11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Not Old Hickory specific, but I toss the net along the wall of the powerhouse away from the turbines, along the flood gates, and along the lock walls. Currents seem to concentrate them in certain areas, but that can change from day to day.

Don't throw in a heavy current area unless you have someone with you who can help you if you get hung up. Also don't tie the end of the line to your arm when throwing in the current, because if the net gets hung, it can separate you from your boat in an undesirable way. A buddy of mine got in bad trouble below the Nick one time. Luckily another boat helped him out.

That is where I was thinking. I have found that the shad usually congregate anywhere the current is swirling and calmer.

You are very much correct.....Below any dam in a boat while they are generating is dangerous. I have fished below Cordell Hull, Cheatham and Pickwick from a boat and you really must respect the water.

If you remember the Tennessee Outdoorsman show, they once had a TWRA film, using mannequins in a boat, that demonstrated what would happen if you got caught in the water discharge. A very good reason why they require you to wear life jackets within one hundred yards of the dam.:)

robhal11
11-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Buddy of mine rescued a guy below OH dam with his cast net tied to his wrist about 20 years ago. He got pulled in himself from the bank one time when he dislodged a rock and it fell in the net and drug him in he cut the line with scabbord knife.