PDA

View Full Version : Nickajack 11-14-11

Alphahawk
11-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Had a good day today. The bite was good early but slowed by noon. Decided to try location B. Most of the Crappie were at or close to the 14 inch mark. All the fish are realy thick with broad shoulders. The only pic is of a 16+ inch fish that easily hit the 2# mark. Had 13 fish total but around 3:00PM the wind really got up and it was difficult to fish. It was the first time I had fished location B but I had suspected it held Crappie also. Still need to try locations C and D. Locations E and F I know already produce good Crappie but I have to get in the vehicle and drive to them. All signs are looking good for me to try Crappie hole at Pickwick on Wednesday. I am looking forward to getting back to my old Crappie hole but I have to tell you.....the number.....and size, of the Crappie I have caught at Nickajack are quite impressive. All fish were caught on a "Bison" colored Trout Magnet using 3# test NanoFil line with a 2# test fluorocarbon leader.

Regards

Greasy Ham
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
So are you catching more of them on the trout or crappie magnet?
I ain't catching crappie yet but it seems like the bass bite my trout size magnets more often than the crappie size magnets. Maybe that's my fault as I will get frustrated and my bait will get smaller and smaller as I decide to just fish for bluegill because they always seem to bite. Every now and then a bass will take hold instead of a bluegill.

Alphahawk
11-14-2011, 11:09 PM
So are you catching more of them on the trout or crappie magnet?
I ain't catching crappie yet but it seems like the bass bite my trout size magnets more often than the crappie size magnets. Maybe that's my fault as I will get frustrated and my bait will get smaller and smaller as I decide to just fish for bluegill because they always seem to bite. Every now and then a bass will take hold instead of a bluegill.

I have always known each body of water has it's own characteristics. At Pickwick the Crappie love the Crappie Magnet in "Midnight Blue". For the last month or so the Crappie at Nickajack are tearing up the Trout Magnet. When I have been at Nickajack and caught my limit and still catching Crappie on the Trout Magnet I would take it off and put on a Crappie Magnet. I have yet to catch a Crappie on a Crappie Magnet at Nickajack......of course that could change at any time. It may be the location of the Crappie...time of year... it may be the color....the size of the bait present that they are feeding on....I am not sure. But I can't argue with success. I have never had a problem catching big fish on the Trout Magnet. My son and I regularly catch big Smallies at Center Hill in the Spring....and big Trout on the Caney. A short while back I was catching a ton of Bass on the Crappie Magnet at Nickajack. There are obviously a lot of variables on what fish are hitting at any particular time.

Regards