PDA

View Full Version : Oh 11-10-11

StriperFan
11-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Went up the river a ways with a tank of shad. The wind was a constant pain in the neck, but we managed some fish. We fished the channel drops in a couple of likely spots. Missed a couple but landed three, a 33, 20, and a 14. indexOf

Scott715
11-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Nicceee

Alphahawk
11-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Nice Stripers...wish Pickwick held fish like that.

Regards

Jim
11-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Great fish!

I went out for a little while also, but the wind was way to much for me to go to the striper holes I would have like to hit, so I stayed close to home. Checked a few deep spots to see if any big fish were around, but not much showed up on the depthfinder.

My best fish was a nice flathead catfish, but the bite was tough. (lousy pic as I was by myself)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q9jeT-TLHos/Tr1V79R2_zI/AAAAAAAAAnE/-niT8c2s1XU/s400/IMG_0212.JPG

Hopefully, the wind will lay down and I will be able to get to the good areas soon.

Congrats,
Jim

thehick176
11-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Good fish Mr.Jim. I just got back in from Old Hickory a few mins ago and it was like my last few trips have been. SLOW! I didnt get many bites and the ones i got i had to work my butt off to get. Probably wont go back to the Hick until the weekend of Thanksgiving.

StriperFan
11-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Yea Jim that is deffinetly a Fattie Flattie. At times I felt nuts trying to fish in that wind. Even with two anchors out the boat was all over the place. But we came to fish, and we will fish, and will have fun darn it.

robhal11
11-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Great looking fish, I live about a mile, as the crow flies on Wilson county side from the steam plant and hear you guys during the cold months running up and down over there. I got me a bigger boat a few weeks ago and hope to really try some cold weather striper fishing this winter. My brother in law caught one about 20 lbs while we were trout fishing on the Caney and I have wanted to hit them over here close to house ever since.

StriperFan
11-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Great looking fish, I live about a mile, as the crow flies on Wilson county side from the steam plant and hear you guys during the cold months running up and down over there. I got me a bigger boat a few weeks ago and hope to really try some cold weather striper fishing this winter. My brother in law caught one about 20 lbs while we were trout fishing on the Caney and I have wanted to hit them over here close to house ever since.
Thanks. Why wait till winter, go now, and this winter. I have had good luck catching bait at the steam plant and fishing downstream a bit in the winter. I get claustrophobic with all the other boats around, even while catching the skipjack, so I get my bait and run. As close as you are I am confident you will be a pro in no time, the fish are there. Its a 45 mile trip for me, but i'm not complaining.

robhal11
11-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the ecouragement StriperFan I went last winter a few times in my 14' jon boat and it was a little tipsy with all the traffic as you mentioned(over in the canel), so I hope to get out a lot more with the bigger boat, and work up down the channel more this fall and winter and try to learn the different ways of fishing for stripers.

StriperFan
11-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the ecouragement StriperFan I went last winter a few times in my 14' jon boat and it was a little tipsy with all the traffic as you mentioned(over in the canel), so I hope to get out a lot more with the bigger boat, and work up down the channel more this fall and winter and try to learn the different ways of fishing for stripers.
Be sure to check out Jim's bait tank design in his "More OH Striper and Cats" thread. It will help keep some shad alive. Or use a small cooler with ice and just throw them in it to use as cut bait. I still can't keep skipjack alive, but I will use them as cut bait, and there is an infinite source of them at the steam plant. I have only had good luck using them fresh for cut bait for stripers. I tried keeping a bunch in the freezer before and just taking it as I needed it, but it turns kinda mushy and I didn't get any takers on it..

robhal11
11-15-2011, 11:17 PM
My brother in law has built a small tank along the lines of Jims that we can put 3 or 4 skipjack in or several shad. Hope to be out there in a few weeks. Trying to get the boat ready for Thanksgiving weekend. Mount my Depth finder and get bilge, arrit, nav lights all working. The fuse block on the new(used) boat has a little corrosion on the spade clips, I am cleaning them and should be ready next week. May try to hit Dale Hollow, one day, with Dakota and see if we can catch some smallies over that weekend. Thanks for all the info looking forward to trying for the big stripers.