PDA

View Full Version : Nickajack 11-04-11

Alphahawk
11-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Another good day. I only brought home 12 as I left at noon. I wanted to get back and get them cleaned before dark. All of the fish were in the 14 inch range. I am amazed at the consistent size of fish I am pulling from this place. Will hit it again next week.

Regards

90titans89
11-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Nice to see someone catching them. I have been all over Old Hickory looking the last couple weeks and it's been tough to get more than two keepers.

Travis C.
11-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Sure you're not down there in the TN Aquarium fishing? :D

Alphahawk
11-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Sure you're not down there in the TN Aquarium fishing? :D

LOL..I think the place I am fishing is kind of like the place I fish at Pickwick for Crappie. But this place may be better. I will need the entire next 7 months to find out. I am waiting to find out if the Crappie have moved in at the place at Pickwick and I wil start fishing there....but will go back to Nickajack several times a month to see if the fish stay there. Of course the first time I go and don't do any good I will have to go back several more times to make sure it was not just a bad day. I have as yet to try one of the other places that has the same depth....structure,,,,current and so on. I had a great Crappie year last year and this one may be even better.....don't know how it can get much better than I had but this is a unique place to fish from the bank.

Regards

Travis C.
11-05-2011, 07:50 AM
You keep having years like this or last and you'll need to borrow Purity's walk-in to store all the crappie.

Do you read a lot of crappie articles and etc.?

Dad has been trying to find a book that was listed in the Tennessean about a year ago that was supposed to be wrote by several local guides on crappie in TN. He can't remember the name or find anything on it and has been trying to find it since.

Alphahawk
11-05-2011, 10:02 AM
You keep having years like this or last and you'll need to borrow Purity's walk-in to store all the crappie.

Do you read a lot of crappie articles and etc.?

Dad has been trying to find a book that was listed in the Tennessean about a year ago that was supposed to be wrote by several local guides on crappie in TN. He can't remember the name or find anything on it and has been trying to find it since.

Actually Travis for years most of my fish have gone to a gentleman down here who cleans them...with a partner helping him of course...and they then distribute the fish to elderly folks who don't have the money to buy meat. It is my way of giving. I checked with TWRA about this before I started doing it. I was told if I catch a limit of whatever that the fish belong to me and I can do with them as I please. But...I can no longer keep any more fish for that day. I may still fish but catch and release only for the species I have given away. I have had people at Pickwick ask me to catch them some Crappie as I had limited out but I tell them no it is against the law. Most folks don't understand that and think ill of me. There is a huge problem giving away Stripers below Pickwick Dam. People will be hauling them up the hill like they were fire wood. All from some guy who is giving away everything he cathces. I will go and remind him he is breaking the law but they don't care. I know most of the Wildlife Officers down there and they hide somewhere and watch with binoculars and wait until they see it and then they pounce....but they can't be there everyday.
As for reading about Crappie...yes I do. I don't have any books but have read so many articles on the Net I can't count them all. To me...and I am sure some will disagree....Crappie can be the most finicky fish out there. They turn off...turn on...at a whim. I have been at Pickwick and caught 7 or 8 fish in a row and then nothing for 5 or 6 more hours....but more often than not they will turn back on sometime during the day...and usually right before sunset. Too many people will say "They have moved out". That is not the case. I tell people I have 26 different types of retrieve for Crappie...since all my Crappie fishing is casting. I read that from some Crappie guru and that has helped me catch more fish....changing up the way I retrieve the lure. One of the best places to read articles about Crappie is the In-Fisherman web site. They also sell books and videos.

Regards

Travis C.
11-05-2011, 10:09 AM
I'd keep more fish if I knew some people who'd eat them. My wife and kids don't really eat fish other than catfish. That is the one fish I could care less to chase. It's never been an interest to me. I personally enjoy eating fish.

I'll check out the In-Fisherman.

You see repeat daily limits out of Hatchery Creek at Dale Hollow all the time. Never have I seen anyone remotely checking. Its like they are part of the camping perks.

Alphahawk
11-05-2011, 10:29 AM
I'd keep more fish if I knew some people who'd eat them. My wife and kids don't really eat fish other than catfish. That is the one fish I could care less to chase. It's never been an interest to me. I personally enjoy eating fish.

I'll check out the In-Fisherman.

You see repeat daily limits out of Hatchery Creek at Dale Hollow all the time. Never have I seen anyone remotely checking. Its like they are part of the camping perks.

I have witnessed that also at Dale Hollow. I eat a lot of fish...and a few of my family members eat fish on occasion but I can eat it 3 or more times a week. If I want Catfish I will go out to eat it...I don't really care to fish for them either....much less clean them....I don't have a place to clean those even if I wanted to.

Regards

Travis C.
11-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd be willing to bet there is some sort of gentlemen's agreement to Hatchery Creek.

It would affect campground revenue if they started showing up regularly.