PDA

View Full Version : Normandy Dam

stickngar21
11-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I've never fished below the dam before, but there's always someone there when I pass by goin to the lake. So what are you guys catchin there?

bd-
11-04-2011, 01:33 PM
The Duck below Normandy Dam is stocked with rainbow and brown trout. It's a fairly popular spot among local fishermen. However, it gets warm in the summer and extremely few (if any) trout "hold over" from one year to the next. Therefore, nearly all of the trout you catch will be "stocker" size, 8 to 10 inches.

If you're driving from any distance to trout fish, you might as well pass on by the Duck and go to the Elk, which is not too far away. The Elk has cooler water and holds over some nice trout. I wouldn't call it a trophy fishery per se but you do have at least some shot at a 6 or 7 pounder.

The Duck has a reputation as an incredible smallmouth fishery further downstream but that's not really right below the dam.

bd

Alphahawk
11-04-2011, 05:31 PM
I've never fished below the dam before, but there's always someone there when I pass by goin to the lake. So what are you guys catchin there?

It is a great place to fish for Stockers...if you live fairly close. Using an UL rig with 2# test line you can have a ball with catches of over a 100 per day. I don't mean to contradict bd but they have not stocked Browns below Normandy for years.....I have called them many times and asked them to update the web site...but to no avail. For the last 3 years that I have fished it I have never caught one and the same folks who would tell me the Trout live all year long also were telling me they stocked it with Browns. So I called Jim Habera....TWRA Trout/Fisheries Biologist......and he confirmed they have not stocked Browns there for several years. For those that think the Trout hold over...that water gets plenty hot by the middle of July. Even though they will do a stocking in June...it is over with by end of July...if not sooner. You may also catch some very nice Walleye while Trout fishing...depending on how you fish for Trout. At times huge Black Nose Crappie hang out below the dam also. Oh and if you go there in late May you can get some Trout in the 13 inch range approacing 14 inches. They have been talking of cutting back the approximately 27,000 Trout that they stock there and stocking only five to seven thousand 13 and 14 inch fish. Only about 7,000 of the twenty something thousand they stock get harvested. That is a lot of fish dying off.

Regards

bd-
11-06-2011, 02:06 PM
You may be correct. In saying they stock browns, I was just going off information I had been told. I know they used to. I'm actually pretty glad to hear they've quit. Most years, we don't have enough brown trout to go around, since they are harder to raise in hatcheries than rainbows. Putting browns in the Duck was a waste.

In fact, I'd be perfectly happy if they would sluice a little water to warm up the tailrace and manage it as a trophy smallmouth fishery. Save the trout for waters where they have a shot of holding over - even some of the spring creeks like Mill, Charles, and Tumbling Creek would be better holdover fisheries than the Duck.

bd

Alphahawk
11-06-2011, 08:27 PM
You may be correct. In saying they stock browns, I was just going off information I had been told. I know they used to. I'm actually pretty glad to hear they've quit. Most years, we don't have enough brown trout to go around, since they are harder to raise in hatcheries than rainbows. Putting browns in the Duck was a waste.

In fact, I'd be perfectly happy if they would sluice a little water to warm up the tailrace and manage it as a trophy smallmouth fishery. Save the trout for waters where they have a shot of holding over - even some of the spring creeks like Mill, Charles, and Tumbling Creek would be better holdover fisheries than the Duck.

bd

I agree with you. I have fished there a lot.....and I don't think I have ever caught a Small Mouth. I have been fortunate enough to be there for the past 3 years when I have caught the Kentucky Bass coming up to the dam. It makes for maybe 4 or 5 days of great fishing....catching stocker Trout and a lot of one and two pound Kentucky's....then they are gone. I fish from the dam down to the first deep hole past the power line towers. It is just not a good tail race fishery and the only reason I can think it is not is water temperature....too cold.

Regards

bd-
11-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Too cold for warmwater fish and not cold enough for trout. It makes for a pretty lousy tailrace.

bd

Travis C.
11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Too cold for warmwater fish and not cold enough for trout. It makes for a pretty lousy tailrace.

bd

It seems to do just fine for snakes. :D

Greasy Ham
11-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I got a cousin that catches a fair amount of larger than average crappie on a regular basis at Normandy dam. Personally I have never fished it.

Alphahawk
11-07-2011, 09:39 PM
It seems to do just fine for snakes. :D

Better stay away from Cortners Mill in the Spring.

Alphahawk
11-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I got a cousin that catches a fair amount of larger than average crappie on a regular basis at Normandy dam. Personally I have never fished it.

I have caught a few below the dam and you are right...they are larger than average. Here is one caught this Spring...a 17 inch Black Nose that weighed 2.5 pounds.

Regards

Ken C
11-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Travis C. http://www.fishingtn.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?p=17777#post17777)
It seems to do just fine for snakes

That's right. I've had the things swim between my legs while wading. Heck, I've seen em so thick you could cross the river walking on them. Best thing is for everyone to just stay away from Cortner's, for safety's sake

Striperfishin
11-09-2011, 06:11 PM
There like that all all the rivers now. There all venomous and extremely aggressive. Even in winter I wouldn't fish any river in TN, especially the Duck with out carrying anti-venom with me.

For safeties sake, everyone stop fishing all the rivers in middle TN.

Doc Marshall
11-10-2011, 12:31 AM
I haven't had much luck on the Duck. It boggles the mind because I can't imagine that it's over-fished that badly. I've caught a few modest smallies, but but that's about it.

Maybe I should get into...snakes?

Alphahawk
11-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I haven't had much luck on the Duck. It boggles the mind because I can't imagine that it's over-fished that badly. I've caught a few modest smallies, but but that's about it.

Maybe I should get into...snakes?

I live in Columbia...the Duck runs right through here. I have had the pleasure to fish the Duck in the area around Centerville. The fishing is much better there. Since I am an avid light line fisherman a modest Small-Mouth is good enough for me. But you are right the fishing on the Duck can be not so good. There are places that there are lots of 2# Smallies but I have never seen or heard of anyone getting 4#-5# fish. I am sure there are some but it is not what it is cracked up to be. My two sons float it a lot over at Normandy. I will not go with them because of the snakes. The 6 miles that they float they have never caught a Small-Mouth...and my middle son is an accomplished fisherman. Even the Black Perch are not there anymore...and their size is not that great....but I do suspect that is from overfishing. I have read a lot of articles about Black Perch and when one comes upon a hole with them you should only take 2 or 3 and move on. Most folks think they breed like Bluegill but that is not the case. This Spring I will test the Duck around Columbia with a kayak. I am hoping to find some places that satisfies me as it would sure cut down on my driving to get my fishing fix.

Regards