PDA

View Full Version : Old Hickory/Priest Crappie Report

DUCK_2
10-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Guys,

I have never posted anything here on the site, but I always look at what you guys are doing around the state. I have been fishing Normandy lately and the fishing is pretty decent this year there. I was hoping to get some ideas or reports about fishing OH by the end of next week. I have never fished it in the fall. Can some of you give me some ideas of things to target or what depth you are finding the fish? I usually like to start and sometimes stay around Spencer Creek. I was wondering if any of the docks are producing or any laydowns along the bank.

Anything good to say about Priest right now as well? Any particular structure, areas, or depths working for you guys? I have found that laydowns along the channel work for me in the fall on that lake. Of course I've never caught a limit fishing them, so I wouldn't say that it is the hottest spots to pick.

Thanks,
Duck_2

Travis C.
10-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Welcome.

Hopefully someone will come along and point you in a direction for those places. I fish Old Hickory a lot but always take a break this time of year to chase trout.

There are some schools that stay in the same places year round. You could start around Cages Bend and work towards the Dam hitting main river bank wood structure finding some fish. Station Camp has crappie in it year round on some of the boat docks along the creek channel as well as Drakes on the last third of the creek going out towards the main lake. I'd say you'll probably have to move around some to limit out. Trolling small cranks or bandit 200's around baitfish schools can really produce too.

Like I said, I haven't been out very recent to the conditions now but if you should find fish. Some out near the main channel stay in about 15-25ft year round including spawn.

DUCK_2
10-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate that suggestion. When I read some of you guys reports I get fired up ready to go out. I am not as familiar with navigating OH as much as Priest or Normandy. I may try thoses areas. About this time every year I think I am going to figure them out and have a lot of places to hit, but never do. I never had anyone to show me how to really crappie fish before.

I am like you. When winter comes along I like to switch to trout fishing. I am hoping to do some sauger fishing this year if the rain or generations don't mess it up again. As long as I am wetting a line I am just fine.

Duck_2

Travis C.
10-29-2011, 07:51 PM
I am not as familiar with navigating OH

Duck_2

Becareful out there if you are new to OH. Don't stray too much from the channel or channel bouys until you get the lay of the land. The lake can get shallow on you quick with lots of flats and downed trees stuck on them.