PDA

View Full Version : Crappie!

MNfisher
10-28-2011, 10:08 AM
So i have pretty much only fished crappie in MN in the spring when the water warms and they move shallow and when they spawn. All these posts about the fall and winter crappies here in the south have me very interested. Especially since I have a 16" 2lb 4oz black crappie on the wall from MN, which is HUGE up there, but it sounds like they are a little more common in the south. And it sounds not uncommon to catch many 12-15 inchers which to me sounds like a blast!! Just to even catch and not eat! Anyways, to get to my question. Are there good spots to shore fish these crappies this time of year and throughout the winter around downtown nashville. Percy? Percy Tailwaters? Old hickory? OH Tailwaters? Any info will be greatly appreciated. I don't need specific spots, but am curious as what to look for? Brush? Moving water? Shallow? Deep? Thanks for any response!

TNtransplant08
10-29-2011, 07:38 AM
I've been told that the lock wall below OH Dam can be a good place to fish for winter crappies and sauger from the bank. I've yet to try that side yet and have been meaning to, but I just never get around to it. I always end up going to the Hendersonville side.

Alphahawk
10-29-2011, 08:24 AM
So i have pretty much only fished crappie in MN in the spring when the water warms and they move shallow and when they spawn. All these posts about the fall and winter crappies here in the south have me very interested. Especially since I have a 16" 2lb 4oz black crappie on the wall from MN, which is HUGE up there, but it sounds like they are a little more common in the south. And it sounds not uncommon to catch many 12-15 inchers which to me sounds like a blast!! Just to even catch and not eat! Anyways, to get to my question. Are there good spots to shore fish these crappies this time of year and throughout the winter around downtown nashville. Percy? Percy Tailwaters? Old hickory? OH Tailwaters? Any info will be greatly appreciated. I don't need specific spots, but am curious as what to look for? Brush? Moving water? Shallow? Deep? Thanks for any response!

If the Cumberland is backed up into Stones River....Percy tail waters...you can catch some Crappie there up next to the left wall area as you are below the dam and looking straight at it. I have caught some really nice ones there. You may also want to try on the exact other side on the lake. If you are facing the dam it will be on your right. You have to crawl down the rocks and fish that area where dam and bank meet. A lot of people fish it so be prepared for some shoulder to shoulder. But it holds big Crappie during Spring and Fall...but I have never fished there in the Winter.

Regards

MNfisher
10-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info!!

Travis C.
10-29-2011, 07:46 PM
I haven't caught a bunch of crappie in the Cumberland below the Dam just random here or there. The last time I caught them was on the upstream end of the pier below LP. I caught those a couple winters ago.

There is also a good little spot off the Metro Center Greenway levee. It's behind the small lake on the river side in a pocket.

I don't mind giving these places as there were hardly ever anyone there fishing at least when I was. The Metro Center one I fished almost every week day for a year and some days were better than others ofcourse.

Below Dams can be really good for all species as they come to eat baitfish just some maybe be on one side or the other due to their current preferences.

Hope you find some.