PDA

View Full Version : Local Lake

Travis C.
10-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Me and my little one hit the lake today for some recon on crappie. No crappie were in the usual haunts but did she lots of V wakes cruising out towards the middle and at least twice something bust surface. The lake has bunches of 1"-1.5" minnows right now. The water was kinda funny colored and maybe trying to turn over but it doesn't seem that we have had enough cold weather yet. There was no smell to it so it may just be lake of rain.

We caught a few small gills and a small bass on a white/chart crappie magnet. Did not take pics of the fish but I did of the lake and my lil one trying the get after them. She be into them soon... :D

bd-
10-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Usually, when you see discolored water or smell a bad smell this time of year, it's from algae and plankton die offs. A lot of people confuse it with fall turnover, but our lakes around here don't turn over until deeper in the winter. You have to get surface temps down into the 40s before stratification breaks down and the lake turns over, and we're still in the mid-60s on most of the local lakes now.

bd

Greasy Ham
10-25-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm putting the kayak in there saturday Travis. I'll be back in the lilies with the frog again. I might try for the crappie but don't really know where to start looking for them in there.

Travis C.
10-25-2011, 04:42 PM
I'll pm you.

I did not really have a lot of time since the small one was with me. I was on her clock not mine. We stayed about an hour and half.

There was life even though the water looked like it could use a good rain. Lot's of little minnows swimming around and there were things chasing them.

Good luck!

Alphahawk
10-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Great pics Travis....reminds me of taking my kids when they were little. I tried my Crappie hole at Pickwick today but the water is just still too warm for them there. Will have to keep fishing Nickajack until Pickwick is ready. Also the Whites and Stripers have moved out at Pickwick..they will be back..but who knows when. I know once the Crappie hole has Crappie in it I probably won't even go to the generator side until Spring. You are right..we need some rain.

Regards

RiverShoes
10-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Nice! I can't wait til my little guy is old enough to go with daddy!