PDA

View Full Version : New Deck On New(used boat)

robhal11
10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Got a 16' Alumacraft Maverick 1988' model. Motor like new boat is great shape except for back deck. What would you guys do as far as type plywood, fiberglass the plywood, risen it or leave it alone? Also does anyone know if the Stratos plant in murfreesboro still sells remenants of carpet. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. I hope this is ok to post. Thanks.

catfishtn
10-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Lowes actually sells bass boat carpeting. And beleive it or not, It's not junk! I bought a roll for my 15' aluminum boat last year, along with some 1/2 inch exterior plywood.

Now if I can just stop fishing long enough to work on it.:o

Joe

Travis C.
10-25-2011, 06:17 AM
When we built out my 16ft big jon several years ago, we used 3/4 inch plywood + resin + fiberglass matting.

Precut everything, then glassed it. wrapped them in carpet and screwed it all together. The matting really gives the resin it's strength. If you don't want to go that far at least do something other than just wrapping the wood with carpet to keep water from rotting it out. Even if its a simple waterproofing spray or roll-on.

But since it's a back deck and not a mid-deck the chances of it needing to be sturdy enough to support weight are higher.

Dakota
10-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Big Rob I wish I could help you, but I got nothing. See you at Church.

Travis C.
10-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Could you snap a pic of the back deck?

clean air
10-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Alot of people are using the stuff thats used to spray bed liners in trucks.You can get it in any color and use a roller to apply it.Its got good grip for your feet and you can use a water hose to clean it after fishing all day.I know a guy that removed all his carpet from his boat and used that stuff.It worked great and he washes all the fish slime and shad guts out with a garden hose or the car wash. You can buy it at Lowes or Home Depot by the gallon I think if not I know Basspro and Cabelas sells it just for that reason.

robhal11
10-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the great ideas. I will more than likely go ahead and do the home depot carpet and exterior plywood to get through the winter. Then look into the spray type that Cleanair is talking about, it looks real clean and sharp in the few boats I have seen. Travis I will send a pic in a few days, don't get home until after dark now and will have to work this weekend, but will get one up in a week or so. Dakota I want to go catch some of those smallies like you did last weekend, when I get it water ready. Told Hugh tonight we need to go float-in-fly in a few months on Dale Hollow.

Dakota
10-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Lets go I will be ready when you are.
QUOTE=robhal11;17596]Hey guys thanks for all the great ideas. I will more than likely go ahead and do the home depot carpet and exterior plywood to get through the winter. Then look into the spray type that Cleanair is talking about, it looks real clean and sharp in the few boats I have seen. Travis I will send a pic in a few days, don't get home until after dark now and will have to work this weekend, but will get one up in a week or so. Dakota I want to go catch some of those smallies like you did last weekend, when I get it water ready. Told Hugh tonight we need to go float-in-fly in a few months on Dale Hollow.[/QUOTE]