PDA

View Full Version : Using an 18 Foot Jig Pole

Alphahawk
10-23-2011, 08:59 PM
I am going to use an 18 foot jig pole I bought 4 years ago and have never fished with. The place I will be fishing screams for a setup like this...I hope...LOL. I will be jigging in 18 to 22 feet of water next to a wall and also 7 to 12 foot down a wall of rocks. I had this thing out in the yard playing around with it..I hope it does not break. It is Med-Hvy action and is rated for 18# test line. My idea is to keep the bait in the fish zone all the time instead of casting and pulling through....that is my theory anyway. Of course the Crappie may prefer the swimming action of casting rather than jigging. Just thought I would take it along and see how it does. Will report back if this produces fish. Anyone who has ever done this if you have any tips for me let me know...would be much appreciated. This will pretty much be my first real attempt at vertical jigging. Just have never done it.

Regards

Travis C.
10-24-2011, 07:25 AM
All the vertical jigging I have done was using a bottom bouncing rig.

Let us know how you do.

ALANRAYG2
10-24-2011, 08:18 AM
AlphaHawk, I have had a little experience with a pole a few feet shorter than yours. I found it very hard to land the fish. I had to have a partner in the back of the boat to net the fish from his end.....lol I did not like using it in the wind either. There was too much like hanging below the rodtip. I was using 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs. When the rod would get wet ....the line would cling to the rod not sliding thru the guides. I gave my rod away to a friend and he cut 2 feet off. I enjoy reading your post and check them out often. Good Luck.

clean air
10-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Could you just tie to the eye at the end and fish it like a cane pole?

Alphahawk
10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Did not use the rod today. The location made it difficult to get a fish in should you catch one on it. I think this might be best used in a boat or for fishing for big Gills that you can lift up with the rod. Maybe I will take the 12 footer next time.

Regards