PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick

gpro68
10-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I am going to Pickwick Lake next week. I am fishing (above the dam) for bass anyone have any locations I might try. I havent been there since I was a kid. Thanks

SAMBOLIE
10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
I am going to Pickwick Lake next week. I am fishing (above the dam) for bass anyone have any locations I might try. I havent been there since I was a kid. Thanks

I can't remember the exact location, however, there is a fish market on the upper dam side where I always limited out.

I have little experience on Pickwick as an adult. My best success was around Waterloo and near the Parkway bridge.

Good luck.

Alphahawk
10-20-2011, 08:09 PM

It has been years since I had my boat and fished the lake. But if you put in at the state park boat ramp and as you come out of the bay into the lake look towards the dam.......on the right all the way down is bluffs. That used to be a good area and also to the left of the dam as you face it. I can't remember how far it is up to Yellow Creek but it is down the lake on your right and it is where the 3 states meet. TN and Alabama have a reciprocal agreement.......but unless it has changed I don't think Mississippi and TN have one. Also don't rule out the area you will be coming out of if you put in at the park. Also when you come out of the park bay if you go down towards the dam you will see a swimming area on the left. Before you get to that is a point..there will be some picnic tables on the bank....that is also a good place to fish. That is about all I can remember.

Regards

randy10357
10-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Have great memories of fishing below the dam at Pickwick.

Is Bellis Botel still open?

I remember one October trip where we caught about 10 different species of fish including a str
iper around 11 pounds.

Would like to take my grown sons for some great father, son fishing time.

Alphahawk
10-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Have great memories of fishing below the dam at Pickwick.

Is Bellis Botel still open?

I remember one October trip where we caught about 10 different species of fish including a str
iper around 11 pounds.

Would like to take my grown sons for some great father, son fishing time.

Yeah it is still there but I don't think it has been used as a hotel in quite a while. It is open as a restaurant and bar. Yep below Pickwick Dam one can really catch some fish. Last year I took my broth-in-law down there for one last fishing trip. He is 85 now and when he came home from the war in 1946 he would drive an Hudson from Columbia to Pickwick and be back in Columbia ready to go to work at 11:00 AM....LOL. He did that for several years just to go down there to catch White Bass "Stripes" as everyone down there calls them. They have been in the process of making US 64 four lane for several years now. There are still parts of the original 64 you can still see off in the fields or woods. That thing was so curvy I don't know how he drove that quickly. He tells me that he could drive there faster than me but he then says "But you don't have a Hudson"....LOL.

Regards

fishbait61832
10-21-2011, 06:40 AM
I have been going down to Pickwick for 20+ years and always try to stay at the Botel. We sure have seen alot of changes down there over the years but the fishing has always been great!
The Botel is open as a hotel again. They have also purchased the Bill Dance cabin and that is available to rent also. Here is the contact info I have ask for
Lindsay Boyd “Grasshopper”
Quick GetAway Now [Info@QuickGetAwayNow.com]

Hope this helps.....

Moby Bass
10-21-2011, 11:52 AM
A few years back we caught a bunch of largemouth around the southern end of that island that's east from the mouth of Yellow Creek. There is (or was) some grass along and between the island and the east bank there. The bass were in it.

gpro68
10-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys