PDA

View Full Version : Caney 10-14,15,16

Travis C.
10-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Spent the weekend on the Caney and one word can sum it all up...tough.

Arrived Friday night around 10:30 then floated until around 3:30 with no luck of any kind. I did run into a trio of guys from Nashville floating as well. They were fly fishing as well and only had one fish for the night when we took out about the same time.

After take-out, I went down to Carthage Waffle House for some breakfast and hung around cleaning gear, organizing, drinking coffee until dad arrived early Saturday morning. We immediately went to Betty's initially to drop a car but decided to motor up instead the boat and float back since generation was about to start. We caught a few rainbows mostly stocker size but it doesn't matter because they were dad's first on his first trip to the river and not he's hooked.

Dad left after the float around 2:30 pm and I met a buddy at Happy to float the upper section from the Dam to Happy. He told me once we unloaded and started down stream that he forgot to get a license. That ended up okay as the trolling motor was giving problems forcing us to paddle upstream back to the Dam pool. Did not want to risk anything so we played it safe and it payed off for the weekend. About hour or so before sundown the water finally gave us some life. It had been dead up until that point. I quickly caught probably 20 trout some on a trout magnet and some on my flyrod. I caugt a decent rainbow attached below and broke off a really good rainbow at the boat while my buddy tried to net it. The biting and surface activity lasted for about a hour or two after dark. Once that was over it was dead again.

Saturday night deicded it was time to sleep for the first time since Friday morning. Dad came back up late that night for fishing in the morning but with the trolling problems did not put the boat in and just bank fished the stretch behind the rest area. No risers again Sunday or any life but did manage a brook trout before I left.

Sorry for the long post.... I imagine the browns are on redd's causing all the fish to be gathering into those areas. Until that is over and water temps drop fishing will be tough. Saturday, dad catching his first trout made the trip for me and the 20 trout or that night was just icing. Still beats talking about going.

I'd say its about a month of cool weather away from being normal again. Of all the anglers we came by all weekend we seen no one catch a single fish anywhere on the river except for the ones we caught by the dam on Saturday.

Alphahawk
10-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Spent the weekend on the Caney and one word can sum it all up...tough.

Arrived Friday night around 10:30 then floated until around 3:30 with no luck of any kind. I did run into a trio of guys from Nashville floating as well. They were fly fishing as well and only had one fish for the night when we took out about the same time.

After take-out, I went down to Carthage Waffle House for some breakfast and hung around cleaning gear, organizing, drinking coffee until dad arrived early Saturday morning. We immediately went to Betty's initially to drop a car but decided to motor up instead the boat and float back since generation was about to start. We caught a few rainbows mostly stocker size but it doesn't matter because they were dad's first on his first trip to the river and not he's hooked.

Dad left after the float around 2:30 pm and I met a buddy at Happy to float the upper section from the Dam to Happy. He told me once we unloaded and started down stream that he forgot to get a license. That ended up okay as the trolling motor was giving problems forcing us to paddle upstream back to the Dam pool. Did not want to risk anything so we played it safe and it payed off for the weekend. About hour or so before sundown the water finally gave us some life. It had been dead up until that point. I quickly caught probably 20 trout some on a trout magnet and some on my flyrod. I caugt a decent rainbow attached below and broke off a really good rainbow at the boat while my buddy tried to net it. The biting and surface activity lasted for about a hour or two after dark. Once that was over it was dead again.

Saturday night deicded it was time to sleep for the first time since Friday morning. Dad came back up late that night for fishing in the morning but with the trolling problems did not put the boat in and just bank fished the stretch behind the rest area. No risers again Sunday or any life but did manage a brook trout before I left.

Sorry for the long post.... I imagine the browns are on redd's causing all the fish to be gathering into those areas. Until that is over and water temps drop fishing will be tough. Saturday, dad catching his first trout made the trip for me and the 20 trout or that night was just icing. Still beats talking about going.

I'd say its about a month of cool weather away from being normal again. Of all the anglers we came by all weekend we seen no one catch a single fish anywhere on the river except for the ones we caught by the dam on Saturday.
Always good to get out with your dad. All last year I fished the Caney almost 3 days a week in the Fall and did well. The water just does not seem right to me this Fall. I also am hoping the colder weather will liven things up.

Regards

Reel Tune
10-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Awesome getting your dad out there, we thought about heading over this past weekend, but stuck to our usual waters with not much luck.

Travis C.
10-17-2011, 08:36 AM
It was just amazing to see no rising fish almost all weekend. Usually you can time them like clock work once the sun hits the water.

bd- Sorry I did not get back with you after my phone cut out. I realized then it only had a bar of battery left for the whole weekend.

Travis C.
10-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Awesome getting your dad out there, we thought about heading over this past weekend, but stuck to our usual waters with not much luck.

I have been trying to get him up there for years and he finally gave in. The whole time he kept saying how nice the water was and after a few fish started talking about finding a place to buy closer so we could have a crash pad without driving all the way home or camping. He really likes to fish Cordell too so I would love it if he did.

Alphahawk
10-17-2011, 08:45 AM
I have been trying to get him up there for years and he finally gave in. The whole time he kept saying how nice the water was and after a few fish started talking about finding a place to buy closer so we could have a crash pad without driving all the way home or camping. He really likes to fish Cordell too so I would love it if he did.

That's great. I know that my fishing trip most every week with my son means the world to me. My money is going to get a little better this year so I am thinking of getting a room when I drive the 100 mile mark and coming home the next day. That accident I had coming home from Normandy really scared me..and that was only 45 miles from where I live. But I had waded the Duck all day long and was beat. Yep nothing like a father and son fishing together.

Regards

Regards

Robert
10-17-2011, 08:15 PM
I was out there today and with them generating I felt like I was fishing for leaves sometimes, but it sure was a beautiful day out on the river. I've never had a better day getting skunked.