PDA

View Full Version : For the rockfish guys

thehick176
10-16-2011, 08:24 AM
We fished from Bluegrass area down to the dam yesterday evening up until 10:00. We saw and heard plenty of boils and blow ups all along the main channel. Plenty of bait and plenty of rockfish out there. We were fishing some of our ledge and hump spots along the channel for bass and while doing so I hooked what i'm assuming was a big rockfish on a bass jig. When i set the hook there was no turning him around, and it was swimming away to fast to be a big catfish. I've caught some big rockfish before on jigs down below the dam while smallmouth fishing but this is a first up on the lake. There is that distinctive sound that rockfish make when they are hitting on top that many of you rockfishermen may know.
The main section of activity was in the section of river between the flat in front of Bluegrass down to the mouth of Drakes Creek.

StriperFan
10-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Well that kicks ass, I'm stoked now. I have been fishing Tim's Ford mostly lately, with good luck on rainy days like the ones coming up on top-water. I even took off for this Thursday when I saw it was going to rain again. Seems like the Spring topwater pattern and the Fall topwater patterns are totally different. A light rain really brings them topside in the fall. Anyway I had just started kicking around going to Old Hickory for the upcoming event, now its a done deal. I usually throw big salt water poppers 6-7" even on Tim's, average 5-7lb hybrids don't hesitate. Turns out I was looking through some bins earlier and found the biggest popper I may have ever seen, don't even remember where it came from. Probably 8'' with an additional 2" twister tail. That was really when I felt the calling to Old Hickory. I have caught some nice fish on Old Hickory but not on topwater, this will be my first trip going strictly topwater, if the conditions are favorable. If not, I might resort to live bait. I'll update Thursday evening. All my fishing buds have to work Thursday BTW, so will be going solo, if anybody made it down this far and wants to give it a try.

StriperFan
10-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Had a good day on OH in the rain. Not what I had started out looking for but I'll take it. I beleive the more current and shallower the water the less the topwater bite. I have had super days on Lake Cumberland and Tim's Ford in the fall in the rain catching Stripers and Hybrids in the jumps on the lower end of the lakes. I think they like having plenty of room to get under the bait. Although the area I was fishing was plenty deep, there was a lot of current and no sign of topwater action. So I decided to go with live bait pretty early on. Had a nice 20+ pound striper take the bait within the first 15 minutes, he got tangled in an underwater log, my line was going down as I watched him splashing on the surface. At first I opened the bail to see if he would untangle himself, last act of desperation. After deciding that wasn't in the cards I tightened it up and let him break it off. Anyway ended up catching and releasing a 15# and a 12# rockfish, and a 10# Channel Cat and an 8# Flathead. Along with a couple or more missed bites. Had to be off the water at 1pm or I would have stayed all day.

thehick176
10-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Glad to see you had a pretty good trip. I have been seeing signs of stripers up and down the lake. I was out there this afternoon for awhile and noticed the shad were quite a bit deeper than they have been the last few weeks. I guess that last cold front really knocked them in the head! Once again, congrats on your trip and i'll keep you posted on any striper info i see or come across.

bd-
10-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Very nice, Striperfan. Which end of Old Hickory were you on? I am not asking for specific locations, but I'm curious as to whether you were up in the river above the lake, or down close to the dam (as described in the original post), or somewhere in the middle.

Most of the stripers I've caught on Old Hickory this time of year are in the "somewhere in the middle" part. I was really intrigued by the original post talking about stripers from Bluegrass down to the Dam because I have only fished for bass and not stripers on that end of the lake.

bd

StriperFan
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
bd
I was smack dab in the middle. I'm going to be working over the next couple of days to try and free up a trip for Thursday as this next little front moves in. Weird how they can get in your systemn like that. I've been cleaning reels, respooling fresh line, sharpening hooks, prepping the bait tank...did I miss anything :o

bd-
10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Hmm, that's what I figured, but I admit it's a little disappointing. I live on the Drake's Creek area - it would be awesome to suddenly discover a new striper hotspot right outside my back door.

I guess I'll have to keep heading to the middle and upper sections when I need my striper fix. :)

bd

spottedbass
11-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I caught this one in Drake's Creek half way between Drake's Creek Marina and the other marina (I'm drawing a blank). It was on a creek channel point. I caught it at the first of April last year while I was bass fishing. So there are some that do venture into Drake's Creek. Is there enough population at times to target them...I don't know.