PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick 10-14-11

Alphahawk
10-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Today was an awesome day. All conditions were perfect. The cutback was absolutely flowing perfectly to cast into the boil and let the bait drift into the flat water. I got started at 2:00PM fishing for Whites and Stripers. Before that was over at lock seeing if the Crappie have moved in. Caught a bunch of 10 inch Crappie but I am looking for the 12-15 inch fish to move in...should be about 2 more weeks. Most of my Stripers were between 22-25 inches. The White Bass were huge today. Most of them at the 2 pound range....I suspect those are females. Was using a 1/8 and sometimes 1/4 ounce jig head with the "Killer Klatt" Crappie Magnet. The Stripers..while not that long really have the girth on them with all the feeding they are doing. I stayed with that weight as that put me in the zone for those size fish....fishing a 3/8 or 1/2 I was into bigger fish than I could handle with the rod I used today. I could only take about 3 hours of today. The fish are in there like cord wood and I caught so many my hands got to cramping..of course I am older and arthritis has set in...but still I caught a heck of a lot of fish. They were slamming it with that jolt only Stripers and Whites can give. I don't know how much longer they will be in there...I suspect for several more weeks...but I am going to wear it out while I can. There was only one person down my way to take a pic for me. A little girl about 7 was with her grandfather and he did not know how to do it...even though I tried to show him....he wasn't that much older than me...but the little girl knew exactly how to do it...LOL. Taking pics of the fish without something for scale is hard when your all alone. I have got to get out and get that tripod I keep talking about.

Regards

Cornbread
10-16-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm sure that was plenty of fun. How long a drive is pickwick? Is that TN as far as licensing goes? Thanks

Alphahawk
10-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm sure that was plenty of fun. How long a drive is pickwick? Is that TN as far as licensing goes? Thanks

Yes it is TN. Below the dam is the start of Kentucky lake....which a lot of KY lake is in TN. Up in the lake at Pickwick you don't have to go too far and you are in Alabama and Mississippi. Pickwick is 98 miles from my driveway from Columbia, TN. Yes it is a long way but I like to go where I have a good chance of catching some good fish....being that I am a bank fisherman. If J Percy Priest discharged water all the time I would be fishing up there. My goal is to fish all the TVA tail races before I can no longer fish..which is a long way away. I have fished quite a few but have a long way to go. Starting this Spring I will stay closer to home as I will have a kayak and the Duck River is here along with the Willamsport Lakes. But I will still make a weekly trip or two to a tail race somewhere.

Regards

Cornbread
10-17-2011, 06:55 AM
I don't think that drive is long at all. I would do it, Thanks so much for the info and good luck.