PDA

View Full Version : headed to caney fork monday

Robert
10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm heading to caney fork to float in a canoe. I'm just getting into fly fishing but mainly looking for a nice canoe trip. I'm thinking about putting in on off 141 and taking out at bettys bend. I have a good amount of experience in the canoe and have done quite a bit of fishing up around the roaring river but I thought I might hit the caney fork and give it a try. Any advice about specific fly patterns that do well or even spinning tackle advice would be helpful.

Travis C.
10-14-2011, 10:50 AM
It all depends on the water color. If it straightens out fishing will be good if not then tough.

Flies- zebra midges (red, black, olive) sizes 18-22, scuds and/or sowbugs (olive, gray) sizes 14-16, Pheasant tails sizes 14-18. Drift those under an indicator (float) with the current and you should be able to catch some.

There are a lot of patterns and styles of fly fishing depending on water conditions you can use. If the water is low the ones above should put you on some fish. IF the water is running the longer pulse be careful in a canoe and throw some streamer patterns like a gray/white clouser minnow or white/chartruse but don't forget the wooly buggers (black, olive, brown) in around a size 6-8 as well.

Main thing if your solo in the canoe during the week is again be careful as they have been running a good push of water.

Alphahawk
10-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm heading to caney fork to float in a canoe. I'm just getting into fly fishing but mainly looking for a nice canoe trip. I'm thinking about putting in on off 141 and taking out at bettys bend. I have a good amount of experience in the canoe and have done quite a bit of fishing up around the roaring river but I thought I might hit the caney fork and give it a try. Any advice about specific fly patterns that do well or even spinning tackle advice would be helpful.

They will probably be generating..if so throw some cranks....if you are using spinning gear. I would tell you to use the Trout Magnet in a black or black-gold but unless the water is low they won't do to well in heavy water.

Regards

Robert
10-14-2011, 09:19 PM
both of those sound like good ideas. I'll try to get in some practice fly fishing but if that gets too frustrating I'll grab the spinning setup. Thanks for the help this looks like a great forum for locals I'll be sure to snap pictures if I come up with anything.