PDA

View Full Version : Question for TK

Alphahawk
10-14-2011, 08:26 AM
I have fished the tail race at Pickwick for many years and caught thousands of Stripers there.....which is not hard to do. My biggest is 35 pounds...and that is considered a big fish at Pickwick. One can catch 12-14 pounders pretty regular. What I would like to know is why do the Stripers in the Cumberland River System grow so much larger? There is a huge food resource at Pickwick so I don't think that could be it. So I thought I would ask a Striper guy. Thanks in advance.

Regards

txnative
10-14-2011, 09:09 AM
I think the cumbie is colder, which helps a lot during warmer months. Stripers have a preferred temp range of 55-65 degrees, and high dissolved oxygen needs, both of which are available on the Cumberland and it's tributaries year round. Also, the cumbie is a smaller river, which helps keep current speed up, whereas the tn river is wider and a little slower moving. The current helps create ambush spots and consolidates bait, and in a slower flow, bait tends to spread out more. The year-round growing ability and easy foraging, along with prime forage species (trout, skippies, shad, crappie, and bluegill) makes the cumbie a trophy striper destination.

Chris

tkwalker
10-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I think the cumbie is colder, which helps a lot during warmer months. Stripers have a preferred temp range of 55-65 degrees, and high dissolved oxygen needs, both of which are available on the Cumberland and it's tributaries year round. Also, the cumbie is a smaller river, which helps keep current speed up, whereas the tn river is wider and a little slower moving. The current helps create ambush spots and consolidates bait, and in a slower flow, bait tends to spread out more. The year-round growing ability and easy foraging, along with prime forage species (trout, skippies, shad, crappie, and bluegill) makes the cumbie a trophy striper destination.

Chris

Chris, you pretty well covered it .... <'TK>< :)

Alphahawk
10-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Chris, you pretty well covered it .... <'TK>< :)

Thanks for the info guys.

Regards