PDA

View Full Version : Fun day at Pickwick

Alphahawk
10-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Caught 20 of the Large Mouth over by the lock at Pickwick....water started rising so went to generator side and from around 3:00PM until dark caught a mixed bag of nice White Bass and Stripers. Caught around 100 fish total using 1/8 Double Cross jig head and "Killer Klatt" Crappie Magnet. Lots of Stripers heading to Kentucky today as I could do nothing with quite a few of them. The large Mouth were caught using light action rod...4# test with a 4# test leader. The Stripers and White Bass were caught using a med light action rod and 8# test NanoFil with a 12# test leader. Lots of fun...sure felt good to get back on the fish. Hope they have number one boil on when my son and I go down on Monday.

Regards

MNfisher
10-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Great Job Alphahawk!! SOunds like a blast! Get any of those Monster Largmouth yet?

I am thinking of heading there Tomorrow from the Nashville area?? Anyone wanna split gas?

Alphahawk
10-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Great Job Alphahawk!! SOunds like a blast! Get any of those Monster Largmouth yet?

I am thinking of heading there Tomorrow from the Nashville area?? Anyone wanna split gas?

No big Large Mouth yet. They are in there but for whatever reason are not hitting my lures. I have thrown one of every thing I have...which is quite a lot of different type lures. If you go on the weekend make sure of the water schedule. On most weekends they cut it back and without that generation those White Bass and Stripers just won't come up. I am not giving up on the big Large Mouth. Will go back down again next week and try again.

Regards

Travis C.
10-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Looks like a good workout there Alpha.

I am dotting my eyes and crossing my t's for this weekend..can't for unobstructed fishing for 40 straight hours.

Alphahawk
10-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Looks like a good workout there Alpha.

I am dotting my eyes and crossing my t's for this weekend..can't for unobstructed fishing for 40 straight hours.

I hope you do well at the Caney. My nephew and I are just waiting for when they start generating around the clock in the Winter to get into the big Browns. I need to be going up myself to do some wading but all this extra weight I am carrying is kiling me...but that is soon to be taken care of. Have a good trip.

Regards

MNfisher
10-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Sounds good! I will be checking the Generations. Do the generations have to be going for the largemouth to be hitting? And how do you fish the crappie magnet, just cast and reel in with a few pauses and let the current take it??

Thanks!

Alphahawk
10-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Sounds good! I will be checking the Generations. Do the generations have to be going for the largemouth to be hitting? And how do you fish the crappie magnet, just cast and reel in with a few pauses and let the current take it??

Thanks!
Yes if you are fishing the Crappie Magnet for Stripers. If you are fishing for Crappie then there are about 26 different retrieves I use. If you go tomorrow they will probably turn on boil number one at 1:00PM. The Large Mouth are over by the lock and while it helps the more water...generation is not absolutely necessary to catch them out of there. They are still in there but I had awesome day today on the generator side....see my report. I used a 1/8 and 1/4 jig head today with the "Killer Klatt" Crappie Magnet to catch my fish.

Regards

MNfisher
10-14-2011, 08:59 PM
I found someone to go with me on Sunday, so that is when we are heading that way. Hopefully they still run the boil 1! You were out today again? I didn't see a report from today. Have the crappies moved in yet? It would be great to meet you some day, but currently I have to work every weekday. Thank you for all your help and info Alphahawk! I will post results from our trip there on Sunday! Bought my first trout and crappie magnets today:-)

Alphahawk
10-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I found someone to go with me on Sunday, so that is when we are heading that way. Hopefully they still run the boil 1! You were out today again? I didn't see a report from today. Have the crappies moved in yet? It would be great to meet you some day, but currently I have to work every weekday. Thank you for all your help and info Alphahawk! I will post results from our trip there on Sunday! Bought my first trout and crappie magnets today:-)

You will find me fishing 5 days a week unless Dr. apt or something of that nature. While I do not like to fish on the weekends I will do it. The Crappie are in there...if you like 10 inch fish. From October 15 last year through May of this year I took 900 Crappie out of that hole...and not a one was a 10 inch fish. I will post and let the forum know when the big Crappie move in...once there they will be in there through May of next year. When you see photos of the Crappie below Pickwick that is when you will want to make the drive. This place is no secret..everyone fishes there. It stays stacked up with huge Crappie...or it has for the past 60 years....so unless something has changed I fully expect them to come back. My last stringer in May was 21 fish that weighed 31 pounds. Pickwick is not my only location to fish...it is just the "Hot Place" right now. I almost went to Nickajack to fish for Spots under the railroad trestle but changed my mind at the last minute...glad I did.

Regards