PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick 10-06-11

Alphahawk
10-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Had a great day fishing at Pickwick. Started out on generator side and they did not have number 1 boil on and and soon turned off number 2. About 2:30 decided to go over to my Crappie hole and see if Crappie had moved in. Well not any good size Crappie yet but it was stacked up with Large Mouth. From 3:00PM until 7:00PM literally caught a fish on every cast. I was at the end of the trough and I think the big Large Mouth were at the start of the wall...but you know the saying....."Don't ever leave a place you are catching fish". So I stayed put. I caught about 25 Bluegill and they were all the size in the pic. The Large Mouth were all about one to 1.5 pounds each. At 7:00PM a wall of Stripers was headed my way...LOL. I had to get out of there as it was getting dark and I had buttoned up my bag. I picked up the rod I had not used all day and made one cast into the feeding frenzy and had an instant hookup. It was about 6 pounds. Got him off and headed up those rocks as the Coyotes had started howling.....there is huge pack that lives in the woods behind the lock parking lot. Going to take my head lamp Monday so my son and I can get in on some Striper frenzy and see our way out of there. All of my fish...except the Striper...were caught with an ESP 7 foot Power Light rod using 3# test line and a 4# test Yozuri Hybrid leader. The Large Mouth have moved in and should be there for two weeks. My son and I will head there Monday on our weekly trip to fish with each other. I am also going back to Nickajack on Saturday to fish under the trestle. My girl friend wants to go see those bats come out of the cave down there. I don't know if those bats have already left the cave for this year or not. But I told her sure...lets go...LOL. Life is good.

Regards

Travis C.
10-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Nice job Alpha, is that the slider net or you go with another type?

You sure do have those fish pegged down as to when and where they will be.

Alphahawk
10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Nice job Alpha, is that the slider net or you go with another type?

You sure do have those fish pegged down as to when and where they will be.

Yeah that is a Slider net. It is a real nice net. Perfect for fishing in rip rap when you don't want to get down on that last rock next to the water. I am going to buy an 18 inch handle for it when I get my kayaks. I used to keep a log of what time..bait...weather conditions and so on. Now I just have the date in my Smartphone and it sends me an alert when to start fishing for what and where. The Bass are late this year at Pickwick...late to me but I am sure they know their schedule...LOL. It should last for two weeks and then they will be gone. Hopefully Monday I can go to the entrance to the lock wall and get into the big boys....5 to 6 pounders. On quite a few days last year I had some on that would go 8 pounds or better. During this time of year the Striper will move in on the same spot at about Sundown and tear it up for about 15 minutes..and then they leave. So you have got to fish quick..and I don't use any treble hooks during this time as it takes forever to get them things out and I lose all my 15 minutes of fish busting to getting hooks out. But more often than not the first Striper you catch will be a 12 pounder and it takes a few minutes to get him in and back to fishing so you may only get two fish but they will be good ones.

Regards

clean air
10-07-2011, 04:31 PM
The bats are pretty cool to watch.There is a observation post so they dont get in your hair.I have fished there many times when they come out.