PDA

View Full Version : Middle Fork of Rock Creek

Catchingtrout
10-06-2011, 02:35 PM
That's this weeks adventure. We were planning to head to Lewiston/Orfino, ID for some Steelhead action but the fish are apparently not coming up yet so we're going to chase Browns in MT. I'll remember to take my camera this trip and share with you when I return. If anyone has suggestion for the Middle Fork or even the Upper Big Hole, please share.

Catchingtrout
11-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Well here it is.

I made it to Spokane, WA then drove to The Bitter Root Valley in Montana for another SW Montana excursion. I hooked up with my buddy, Wes and lucky for me his rig was loaded and ready to go. We were heading over Skalkaho Pass for 2 nights out of Cell range looking for Trout on the Middle Fork of Rock Creek. He was licensed and prepared for Grouse and Bear just in case the fishing didn't turn in his favor. He still can't row so we were wading. He won't let me row. Something about rocks, walking and chewing gum, wind knots, and my superior fishing skills.

We stopped in at the Anglers Roost for a fishing license and a little fly talk. I just nodded, uhhughed and learned that Wes has been published and sells more flies than I loose in a year to this shop alone.

Next we drove across Skalkaho Pass which burned a few weeks back and had just been re-opened. This made for an interesting trip. As we elevated the sun was setting, smoke rose here and there along the way, and we drive through the remains of the first snow which fell the night before @ 7000 ft. We crossed paths with several Grouse on some Forset Service property and after a short stalk and a couple of shells we were blessed with a limit of fresh Gouse for dinner in addition to our already marinating elk burgers and Iced down 24oz. Long Haul Pale Ale's

We arrived at our camp on the West Fork just before dark. The Moon was rising in the East as the last light from the sun was fading away in the west. We got our Beer Opened, fire going, tent up, water boiling, Grouse cleaned, dinner cooking and settled in for a night of catching up and anticipating the tug of a Wild Cut Throat Trout on our lines in just a few short hours.

We woke up to a picture perfect 32 degrees inside of the tent. The sun was rising over the mountain and it was time to start a cook fire for our elk sausage, eggs, toast, and coffee breakfast. There were Trout in the river just 200 ft away and they wanted our flies.

After breakfast we geared up and headed out.After about 2hrs. of intense fishing landing only 1 fish and seeing not too many more we decided to move on. The guess at this point is this is a Spring Spawning area for the Cut Throat. We have had success in the area before Run off. Run Off isn't great and the low water of Fall appears to only hold a few hold over fish in the deeper holes. Lessons learned. Now it's time to move and it looks like we're going to go to "The" Rock Creek.

After what I have come accustomed to be known as a "Short" trip in Montana we drove 2 hrs to the next spot that we both agreed to. I don't like crowds. Wes has a different definition of the word. I believe that if I see any other person than Wes during the time I'm on the water; it's crowded. Rock Creek deservingly gets a reputation in the Fishing world for its fishing. It also get's it's crowds. Even if Guide passes are limited. We did to get to meet the "Game Warden" for the region. To me it's nice to have my license checked. I buy a lot of them each year and it's nice to know that I get more than a natural resource.

Rock Creek Rocked! We both landed some nice fish. Wes hooked into one that. Well, we don't have a picture so just use your imagination. It was big though. We did land several species each. I landed White Fish, Brook Trout, Brown Trout, and Rainbow Trout. I don't believe Wes landed a Brook, but he did land a Bull Trout. We did this in a 2 mile stretch with the best fishing in less than 500 yards. Did I mention that it got crowded soon after we got to our spot? This is the funny part.

When we arrived at our location there was no one parked anywhere near. After about an hour of fishing and covering some water, we were catching some good fish regularly, and noticed someone below us. We continued upstream to deeper water and longer runs. There were now 3 of them. The people fiollowed. We caught fish and moved through the runs. The people kept getting closer. Now there were 4. We kept moving, landing fish, and it was getting more and more crowded. Now there were 6 of us fishing the same holes and runs. Then Wes and I doubled back til we got back to where the truck was parked. Peace at last. A few more fish then here they come.

All in all it was a great trip. We headed back to camp for another great meal of Elk Back Strap, Pasta, and brownies for dessert. Did I mention a few more Laung Hauls?

We got up in the Am, packed up camp then headed back to the Bitter Root Valley. I grabbed my gear, showered and headed to Wanatchee, WA to work and learned they opened the Steel Head season a week early.

Catchingtrout
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
More and I do have more of Fish even

Travis C.
11-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Awesome trip man.

I bet that night of brew, fresh grouse and relaxin by the fire was top notch.

After years of trying to get dad to the Caney, he finally met me there back in mid Oct. Today he bought his first fly rod setup ever downt at Cumberland Transit. I am stoked to not only get to spend some more time with him, teach him something new and watch his excitement in catching first trout but it also opens some doors to going places too. He has already mention Yellowstone and has yet to catch his first trout on a fly.

bd-
11-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I believe that if I see any other person than Wes during the time I'm on the water; it's crowded.

Good heavens, you would absolutely lose your mind on the Caney, wouldn't you?

bd

rodholder
11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Cathingtrout, Thanks much for your report and especially the pics. You get to do what many of us only dream of and we fish vicariously through you. You probably don't realize how much joy you bring to people who don't have the time, money, or health to go to the places you go and do the things you do. You are truly blessed to be able to do these things and we thank you for sharing them with us. God bless you and keep up the colorful outdoor reports and pics!!

Catchingtrout
11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Good heavens, you would absolutely lose your mind on the Caney, wouldn't you?

bd
I do avoid the Caney BD. I've only fished it @ 5 days in the last 2 years. But also consider that when I go to SW Montana people are the last thing I expect to see. Not quite the same expectation as in Middle, TN

With that being said, I plan to fish the Caney 1-2 more days this fall/early winter. Deer season shows up and the crowds turn in their rods for guns.