PDA

View Full Version : Oars on a Flatbottom Jon Boat?

Travis C.
09-30-2011, 04:09 PM
I am thinking about putting some rowing oars similar to what drift boats have on my jon boat for times I wan't to shed the weight from battery and trolling motor.

Has any of you guys tried oars on a jon style flatbottom?

Mine is 14ft maybe 42" beam and light weight.

It has sockets on it now so all I would need is oars/locks. It also has three bench seats in with middle being livewell and that is where I'd sit on my throw cusion.

bd-
09-30-2011, 05:51 PM
If you're not experienced it rowing, it might not track too straight. Other than that, it should be fine once you get used to it.

bd

Travis C.
09-30-2011, 09:46 PM
I may give it a try once I get a little $$ set aside for it. Probably won't invest a great deal in oars to start.

I'm also thinking about a way to create a raised platform that can be removed but still keeping the boat light for some real shallow flats fishing. Nothing salt but really wanting to try my hand at carp next year.

Jigemjigs
10-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I have a 14' 36" john boat and use oars all the time with it on small lakes and ponds. Its actually enjoyable to get on the water like that. It took me a little bit to go left and right without going the opposite way that I intended. My 9 year old son even enjoys it. I think he'd rather row then fish. So I believe you will enjoy good luck.

ALANRAYG2
10-03-2011, 09:25 AM
It's been a long time since I have rowed a boat. The one thing I remember is get the right length of oar. The length from socket to the handle. I didn't like an overlap on the handle. If you would have to hold one handle higher than the other to get equal stroke timing the oar with the higher handle would be a little deeper in the water. This would give the tendency to row in a circle if you didn't compensate. In a perfect world the oars would enter the water at the same time, the paddle ends would be the same depth and angle to the water. The stroke length would be the same. Fortunately we live in an imperfect world, where you have current and wind to deal with.
Also sometimes the oar lock would squeak when rowing. Then then the entire boat amplified the noise and scared the fish away. So I would suggest a little grease in the sockets and a small bottle of grease to keep on board for emergency use.
Good paddling !!!

Catchingtrout
10-04-2011, 09:43 AM
BD nailed it Travis. I get to row now and again when I travel and when I use my Pontoon (Not flat bottom) here. On flat water witout heavy flows you'll be in great shape in a flat bottom John Boat. We use one (Red Neck Drift Boat) on the North Platte on my Casper, WY trips. Save that cash and buy the oars. I'll even pratice with you. Someone has to give BD a run for his money next July.

Travis C.
06-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Finally putting the oars on the boat. It's been a long waiting and decision plus setting a little here/there aside process.

Any of you who have them or had them on a boat here is a question: I have three bench seats in the boat. Would you put the oars in front of the mid-seat or behind the mid-seat?

I am not familiar with which direction you want the front of the boat to go in current. Or is it a matter of whether you want to push or pull them?

Reel Tune
06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
The boat I had years ago, the oar anchors were just behind the 2nd seat, to where I would sit facing the rear of the boat and be able to comfortable row with a full stroke.

Travis C.
06-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Picked up my oars and locks. Now its just time to re-mount the socket. :D

I will be easy to spot on the Caney now in a silver Polarkraft with rowing oars.

If you see me give me a shout!

Hammy
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Travis, How has your rowing experience gone? I know it's been awhile since you said you were going to try it.

I grew up on the intercoastal waterway on the east coast of Fl. as a kid we rowed everywhere.

My 12' jon boat is set up with oars, The sockets are between the rear and middle seat. The best way to row is facing the stern. This way you can put your back into the rowing method. Here is an interesting link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6779843_size-boat-oars.html

While placing commercial fishing nets, we used extra long oars, stood up, and faced the bow.

Hammy

Travis C.
07-19-2012, 09:07 PM
It has gone great. I love it and actually find myself wanting to row more than fish which turned me on to slow trolling with them. Have had it out the last three weekends. They will stay on once I get my outboard instead of mouting the trolling motor back.

That is how I set mine up as well. I can sit in the rear seat and push or in the mid and pull. May put sockets in between the front seat and mid for another option.