PDA

View Full Version : Long Boat Key

MNfisher
09-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Hey Everybody!

I am heading to the Inlaws for a few days over Thanksgiving down in Long Boat Key, FL. I am bringing a few rods. I have not fished there pretty much at all. They have a pier that is between the key and the mainland. What do you suggest I fish with or for? Also, have any of you been in the Sarasota/Longboat Key area before? Are there any other areas to catch some fish from shore? It would be nice to get in to something of some size. But I am a complete novice to this saltwater stuff. My mother in law does have a kayak. Not a fishing one, but it is something to get out off shore a bit. Thanks in advance for any help!

erockhaus
09-27-2011, 12:16 PM
I go down to Siesta Key once a year and get to do a little fishing while I'm there. I'll typically catch whiting in the surf with small pieces of shrimp (good eating too). I'll also fish little Sarasota Bay and have caught rays, redfish, mangrove snapper, snook and flounder.
I'll typically use live shrimp and a split shot (use circle hooks, I like Owner MUTU no. 1 size light circle hooks)
For lures I have had some luck with the DOA C.A.L. with split or shad tails and a 1/8 to 1/4 oz jig head.
Go check wwith the guys at Economy Tackle on 6018 S. Tamiami Trail, I get all my bait and supplies there.
Snook can be caught along the surf early in the morning depending what the water temperature is when you go.
The kayak would be a benefit in the bay areas to get you out to some of the small islands and along passes.
Hope this helps some.

xqkz50
12-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Hi I am planning a beach vacation. I have narrowed accomodation down to 2. Veranda beach resort and White sands Cay. I really want to have a view of the gulf from our rental home/apartment. Which one of these would be best ? - Family of 5.