PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Help?

rodholder
09-24-2011, 07:52 PM
My wife and i will be going from Nashville toWyoming next month, and will be in Yellostone Park Oct 8-10 and i would like to catch a trout or two while in the park, without taking too much time away from our siteseeing goal. Has anyone been there and fished before that could give me some direction or tips as to where to fish? We have never been in that part of the US before and will be comming in from Sheridan, WY, through Cody, into the park. We'll be staying in West Yellowstone for a couple of days, then heading home through Dubois, Riverton,Casper, and stopping in Cheyenne for the night, before heading home to TN. If anyone knows where i can stop by the side of the road or near it and make a few casts, it would be appreciated. I'll be taking my flyrod and it would be icing on the cake to catch a trout or two. I;ll be gathering information for another possible trip in the future to consentrate on trout fishing as opposed to this current siteseeing trip. Thanks for any infor that you care to share.

Catchingtrout
10-03-2011, 05:36 PM
YellowStone and the surrounding area should be good while you are there. No matter where you are going on your trip you will be crossing some great water. Trespass laws are very forgiving most of the time and accesses are all over the place. Once you are in the park you are on "We" land so enjoy what we own.

If I were you I would be focusing on Browns. Their colors should be bright and they should be prespawn and hungry. Think Cover and even close to the shore. Hoppers and other terrestrials should still work in shallow areas near the bank. Fish it before you walk into it. A Hopper/Dropper(Nymph) rig would be a good starting rig. Kick around in the weeds while you are sight seeing and find the size Hopper you shoud start with. Don't be affraid of ants and Beetles either especially 12 - 4 and close to the shore and even in shallow water. A Stimulator might work too.

Baetis Hatches should be going on mid day. Especially on the Fire Hole River which has lots of road access. The YellowStone is also another great park option.

Caddis are always a good bet. You might consider swinging them or skating them across the surface.

Streamers and Sinking line. I love a Platte River Special this time of year. The Ugly Bug in Casper, WY carries a good supply. If you stop in the Ugly Bug ask them about their recent PETA protest.

If you get into Cutthroat slow your reaction and let the fish eat. Rumor has it they are a little less aggressive.

West Yellowstone Fly Shop - West Yellowstone
The Ugly Bug - Casper, WY
Cheyenne - Your better to go to West Laramie or Fort Collins.

I hope this helps.

Catchingtrout
10-03-2011, 05:38 PM
YellowStone and the surrounding area should be good while you are there. No matter where you are going on your trip you will be crossing some great water. Trespass laws are very forgiving most of the time and accesses are all over the place. Once you are in the park you are on "We" land so enjoy what we own.

If I were you I would be focusing on Browns. Their colors should be bright and they should be prespawn and hungry. Think Cover and even close to the shore. Hoppers and other terrestrials should still work in shallow areas near the bank. Fish it before you walk into it. A Hopper/Dropper(Nymph) rig would be a good starting rig. Kick around in the weeds while you are sight seeing and find the size Hopper you shoud start with. Don't be affraid of ants and Beetles either especially 12 - 4 and close to the shore and even in shallow water. A Stimulator might work too.

Baetis Hatches should be going on mid day. Especially on the Fire Hole River which has lots of road access. The YellowStone is also another great park option.

Caddis are always a good bet. You might consider swinging them or skating them across the surface.

Streamers and Sinking line. I love a Platte River Special this time of year. The Ugly Bug in Casper, WY carries a good supply. If you stop in the Ugly Bug ask them about their recent PETA protest.

If you get into Cutthroat slow your reaction and let the fish eat. Rumor has it they are a little less aggressive.

West Yellowstone Fly Shop - West Yellowstone
The Ugly Bug - Casper, WY
Cheyenne - Your better to go to West Laramie or Fort Collins.

I hope this helps. I thought I replied to your PM. Let me know if it worked. Apparently the hackers/spammers have required a reset of login more often than in the past here and I noticed that I have had to relogin during my reply.

Good luck.