PDA

View Full Version : Crappie fishing

TNRACER93
09-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Im a newbie at crappie fishing have always fished for bass. Anyone here willing to take a new guy out and show me the ropes on how to catch me some crappie? pm me if so can take my boat or yours..

Alphahawk
09-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Im a newbie at crappie fishing have always fished for bass. Anyone here willing to take a new guy out and show me the ropes on how to catch me some crappie? pm me if so can take my boat or yours..

I don't know where you live but on October 15th I start my Crappie fishing from the bank next to Pickwick Dam....it all depends on water temp. Where I fish boats do not usually come in there...too many bank fishermen around. The Crappie move in there by the thousands and they are big...mostly you catch 13 and 14 inch Crappie...quite a few going the 14 and 15 inch mark. If no one else takes you, and you want to see how it is done, you are more than welcome to meet me there. It is an awesome fishery.

Regards

TNRACER93
09-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Im in nashville sounds good i wouldnt mind going, but i also want to learn how to catch them and techniques from a boat as well..

Travis C.
09-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Which lake do you normally fish?

I fish for them on Old Hickory but have some places on Percy that we caught them as well.

Casting with a float, vertically jigging, trolling and strolling are some of my favorite ways to catch them. Right now you can really slay them trolling small crankbaits along creek channel drops where you find baitfish schooled up.Strolling can be a killer too this time of year. Its simply a slower version of trolling by using a trolling motor and pauses so that it don't run constantly. You'll have one rod out in hand on channel slope vertically jigging as you follow the contour of the drop.

Finding baitfish the key to these techniques then preferably a change in contour like a creek channel giving them an ambush spot as well as a place to pin bait against. Finding timber along places like this only makes them better.

TNRACER93
09-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Travis im normally on Old Hickory but can go to priest also. Most the time i bass fish thats why im on Old Hickory most the time or go to ky lake.

stickngar21
10-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't know where you live but on October 15th I start my Crappie fishing from the bank next to Pickwick Dam....it all depends on water temp. Where I fish boats do not usually come in there...too many bank fishermen around. The Crappie move in there by the thousands and they are big...mostly you catch 13 and 14 inch Crappie...quite a few going the 14 and 15 inch mark. If no one else takes you, and you want to see how it is done, you are more than welcome to meet me there. It is an awesome fishery.

Regards

What do you use for bait?

Alphahawk
10-06-2011, 10:39 PM
What do you use for bait?

I use nothing but the Crappie Magnet for catching Crappie. It is made by Lelands Lures. I have found all lakes...and rivers...seem to have a particular color that works best. From Oct 15th last year until May 15 this year I pulled 900 Crappie out of my fishing hole. Now the Crappie are stacked in there during that time as thick as thieves. But I think my presentation with the Crappie Magnet is what gives me an advantage. I only use 2# test line fishing for Crappie....and very rarely go heavier than a 1/32 head.

Regards