PDA

View Full Version : baitcaster???

jrbaker90
09-19-2011, 03:37 PM
I am looking for my first baitcaster reel I don't know anything about them and just looking into them right now pflueger monarch and a abu garcia black max I have also looked at a Shakespeare combo and I am not wanting to spend alot on one right for my first one thanks

bd-
09-19-2011, 04:13 PM
In my opinion, you can't beat the Ambassadeur 5500C series for good performance and value at a reasonable price. Those reels are bulletproof.

bd

Travis C.
09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Some of the things I look for in a reel regardless of price are:

Does it spin freely when I give it a good turn of the handle. Back the spool tension off to try this.

Listen for any noise when tunring handle or spinning it.

Finally, how it feels in my hand.

Other things are just tried out on the water. If its quiet, smooth cranking and comfortable then I don't care how much $$ or how less $$ it is worth it to me. I have $300 reels that lasted almost 10 years now and still going with prevent maintence every year and I have a reel that will be 20 years old in two years that was $45. I won't trade anything for that one either. One thing they have in common is they are all Shimano. I also have 2 silver Pfluegars that are shaped like the round garcias and they have been awesome as well.

jrbaker90
09-19-2011, 08:02 PM
I looked at some of them of themi like the Shakespeare the best because its a combo but I would like a better quality. Does a baitcaster take a special kind of rod like a spinning reel does or what thanks

Travis C.
09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
What kind of fishing will you be doing with the baitcaster?

As long as the reel sits on top, a medium action or med-heavy action with a soft tip will work for almost all types of fishing with a baitcaster. If you fish more worms, spinnerbaits, jigs in or around cover go with the med-heavy action. If you like cranking, topwater or fishing more around not so heavy cover go with a medium action.

They have a rod's action now days taylored toward styles of fishing like jigs, worms or cranking, finess, spinnerbait. Like you can buy a cranking specific rod and etc. Those can be expensive.

jrbaker90
09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I pretty much use Texas and carolina rigs and some crank and topwater baits and some jigs thank

Foundationman 1
09-25-2011, 01:12 AM
I picked up a Phulger (i know i missed spelled that) with a Berkley 5'5" med/heavy action rod at Wal Mart for 45.00, with the adjustable magnitec control it has been almost back lash proof. I am very pleased with it, I have 5 bait caster all from the early 80's i thought it might be time to tryout the new ones. for the price i am very happy with the reel and rod, it performs great, i use it as my top water rod.