PDA

View Full Version : Marrowbone Lake Fire/Vandalism

Doc Marshall
09-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey Y'all,

Marrowbone Lake in Joelton was gated off for a few weeks for "maintenance." A few times, even though the TWRA website stated it was open, it was in fact closed. I'd find out when pulling up to the locked gate.

Today I checked it out and it was open, but all of the boats were removed by the TWRA. Apparently,a few weeks ago someone broke into the concession building, stole a bunch of stuff and set some of the docks on fire.

I heard some of the people who worked at the concession quit or left over this incident. Sad, because they are super nice folks.

There is additional drama to the story, but it's all second hand and unconfirmed.

I'm surprised I never heard about this on the news. I hope they catch the people responsible.

Reel Tune
09-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Very sad indeed. I don't think there were actually any fish in there, but it was a great placed for parents to take their kids, and hang out outdoors. Hopefully they will open it back up, and have better surveillance.

Travis C.
09-13-2011, 07:34 AM
That stinks about the fire/crime. Hopefully it won't be closed long.

Sounds a lot like Catoosa this year. Some idiots ruining things for others.

Greasy Ham
10-10-2011, 01:43 AM
I went to Marrowbone today. There is no gate at the entrance now and there is a sign on the bait/concession that reads "No user fee is required, however a fishing license is." Something to that effect anyways.
So the lake is reopened. There was some people working on the concession stand. All I saw damage wise was the windows were still broken. Of course I don't know what it looked like inside. I hope they catch who ever vandalized it and keelhaul them.
The lake is still a gem. I fished it for maybe 4 hours using small jigs and caught several pumpkinseed and bluegill. Hung onto one decent bass that straight my small hook out a bit and slung himself off. This is a great time to go up there with the fall colors setting in. Here is a pic of the lake and colors.

Travis C.
10-10-2011, 07:23 AM
No user fees required? Interesting.

I wonder if the winter trout stocking is in limbo there. TWRA drops a bunch in that lake every year and has done it since they began winter stocking.

If they don't maybe they will create new place be a creek or lake in north midle tn to catch them. I would hate to see them just add that quantity to an already stocked location that is if they don't stock Marrowbone.

Alphahawk
10-10-2011, 08:36 AM
The concessionaire had to resign as a family member of his was the one who did the vandalizing and set the fire..TWRA caught him. This is not second hand info or rumors. Sad..

Regards

Travis C.
10-10-2011, 08:56 AM
That is sad... but par for the course in a lot of cases. Usually the ones doing the crime aren't far removed from victim either by distance or relation.

I wonder if they will start charging again once the place is back business ready.

Alphahawk
10-10-2011, 09:22 AM
That is sad... but par for the course in a lot of cases. Usually the ones doing the crime aren't far removed from victim either by distance or relation.

I wonder if they will start charging again once the place is back business ready.

Yes they will start charging once the money is accounted for. The concessionaire on those lakes gets a share of the fishing permit and boat fee..so they need to get the money straight before collecting anymore. This happened at Laurel Hill a little while back...no fire...but the concessionaire was selling Bluegill from the lake...as food in the shop and out the back door by the pound. I was in the shop the morning TWRA came in and shut him down....and rightfully so. He had paid his fine and he thought it was over but I knew that was not going to stand with TWRA. The TWRA Commissioner said that they could not have a guy running one of their lakes that broke the game laws. TWRA will now publish the open job. I don't know how much fishing is done at Marrow Bone but at Laurel Hill it is quite a bit. TWRA received 70 applications for that opening but only interviewed 7. It can be a good source of income.

Regards

Adough
01-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Any update on this? Was thinking I might head out there saturday.

Alphahawk
01-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Any update on this? Was thinking I might head out there saturday.

Lake is open...still no permit is required..at least not as of 3 days ago. My son went but caught nothing...but you know fishing....when you go might be on fire.

Regards

Travis C.
01-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Should have had a stocking of trout by now.

Greasy Ham
01-26-2012, 04:51 PM
It was stocked once and will be stocked again in february. I go there about once a month. It's the best lake I know of for my kayak.

Travis C.
01-26-2012, 05:37 PM
It was stocked once and will be stocked again in february. I go there about once a month. It's the best lake I know of for my kayak.

Hey Greasy Ham, we start catching crappie around wood structure on warmer days begining in Feb on that "other" lake I have seen you fishing. ;)

Greasy Ham
01-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Travis I will be there. :D

Travis C.
01-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Travis I will be there. :D

If generation doesn't let up on the Caney I will be there too.

Back to Marrowbone.. does anyone still catch the big shellcrackers anymore over there?

Greasy Ham
01-27-2012, 12:17 AM
You gotta get away from the fishing pier, but yes there are large sunfish, bluegill, and towards the west end of the lake in the shallows HUGE carp. Also catfish and bass. My biggest bass out of there is maybe 2 to 2.5 pounds. Nothing huge but the fish are there. I'm sure people have done better than me with the bass. I don't fish for them to much.
You can clean up on eating size catfish in the summer at Marrowbone.

TNtransplant08
01-27-2012, 04:08 PM
I was at Marrowbone Lake today for work doing a forest inventory plot and it is indeed open. There is a sign at the concession stand stating that a permit is not required to fish for the time being. I spoke with gentleman who fishes the lake often. He stated that it is his understanding that the lake will resume normal operation March 1st. He thinks that a couple will start running the concession stand than. He was complaining that since they have been leaving the gates open 24/7, people have been fishing the lake at night, taking illegal fish. You are suppose to be out by sunset, but there appears to be no one checking to make sure everyone is out.

Doc Marshall
01-31-2012, 11:58 AM
I love this lake but it's far too much work for too little bass. It's not uncommon to chat with fisherman and find they've had zero times zero luck.

I've done well with catfish or trout right after they stock them, but other than that it's really a bluegill lake for me. The carp are monstrous(!). I've hovered in the shallows in my kayak and had them dart past me. That'll get yer heart pumpin'.

For the record, the bass in my avatar is from Marrowbone...he's still there, so go get him!

Travis C.
01-31-2012, 02:34 PM
I used to fish it a whole lot more than I have recently. Back before the ice storm we had here in 1993 (I believe) the fishing was outstanding. We'd catch lots of really big bluegill and shellcrackers as well as bass. After the ice storm we went and there was timber down along the banks almost every where. Some is good but that was impossible to fish and the next few years our luck went down considerably.

I know that was a long time ago but for some reason since that event not one trip up there has been remotely the same. Could be coincidence or having nothing to do with it. I have no idea.

Alphahawk
01-31-2012, 11:21 PM
I love this lake but it's far too much work for too little bass. It's not uncommon to chat with fisherman and find they've had zero times zero luck.

I've done well with catfish or trout right after they stock them, but other than that it's really a bluegill lake for me. The carp are monstrous(!). I've hovered in the shallows in my kayak and had them dart past me. That'll get yer heart pumpin'.

For the record, the bass in my avatar is from Marrowbone...he's still there, so go get him!

If you want have some fun with big Bluegill...head to Laurel Hill lake around 1st of June. If you are a light line guy and fish for Trout..go to VFW Lake around end of March and catch about a 100 stocker Trout and if the water is right...and it usually is...you can mix in a bunch of good Bluegill...and huge 13 to 15 inch Shell-crackers. Makes for quite a day.

tkwalker
02-01-2012, 12:36 AM
AlphaHawk ... I looked up the regs ... Are Trolling mtrs. the only thing allowed or how big of gas powered ... The reg was confusing ?? <'TK>< :)

Alphahawk
02-01-2012, 07:17 AM
AlphaHawk ... I looked up the regs ... Are Trolling mtrs. the only thing allowed or how big of gas powered ... The reg was confusing ?? <'TK>< :)

Hey TK..at Laurel Hill you can use your big motor....no matter the size. Once you get out past the no wake you can open it up all you want. The lake is only a little over 300 acres but they allow it...at VFW it is electric only.

Regards

bd-
02-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Marrowbone is like Williamsport - no gas motors.

They will allow you to put a boat with a gas motor in the lake - you just can't run it.

When I fish those lakes I just tilt the outboard up and use the trolling motor to get around all day. It can be a little challenging to get the boat back on the trailer but usually not too bad.

They have boats you can rent at Williamsport but I don't think they rent trolling motors. I think Marrowbone is the same way but I'm not sure. I'd definitely bring a trolling motor and battery if I went the rental route - the lakes are just a little too big to paddle around all day, especially if it's windy.

bd

txnative
02-01-2012, 09:30 AM
BD is dead-on about Williamsport being tough in the wind. I was there this past Sunday, 1/29, and by noon the lake was whitecapping. I was forced to fish protected spots, which weren't as productive, since I was in my kayak. My bro in law and I managed 10 hybrids from 15" to 10 lbs with a 5-7 lb average, a few 2-3 lb largemouth, and a kicker 30 lb blue cat.

Electronics are vital to have any amount of success, since all of the fish we caught this past trip and the one before (20 largemouth averaging 3 lbs, with the two biggest going 5.7 n 5.2 lbs and a 35 lb blue) were way off the bank and in bait, usually at 10-14 ft deep, but up to 25 ft.

Chris

Travis C.
02-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Where is that lake located? Is it a pay to play lake like Marrowbone?

I hear people fishing it all the time but never really knew which direction it was from me.

txnative
02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
It's near Columbia, just outside of Williamsport, TN. The fee is $5 and there are multiple lakes on the property. Blue Cat Lake is the largest, at 66 acres, and is the only lake there with hybrids. The lakes are managed for big bass, as shown by the 1 fish creel limit and 20" min length for largemouth. Shellcracker Lake also has big bass.

The species present are bass, channel n blue cats, hybrids, crappie, bluegill, and shellcracker. Gizzard shad seem to be the predominant bait, and all the ones I've seen/snagged are large, around 6+ inches in length. The bass we're catching are feeding on them, though.

Chris

Travis C.
02-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Sounds fun but a little far for me to chase those.

I will add it to my at some point trip with Montgomery Bell, Natchez and Parksville.

ducksooner
02-27-2012, 06:36 AM
Any tips to caught bass here

agelesssone
02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Marrebone is now open and has a concessionaire in place. An older gentleman now runs that.

I was there on Feb. 17. They released the trout at about 10:00. We got there about 12:00 and people were leaving with their limits. I don't care for trout so I didn't fish, just chatted with the new guy.

I would assume he opens and closes the lake gates at the designated times.