PDA

View Full Version : oh dam bank fishing tonight

txnative
09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm going to fish below oh dam tonight. I'll be on the h'ville side. If anyone is looking to learn the fishery or just want to wet a line, shoot me a pm or just meet me there. I'll probably get there right at dusk, depending on how long i'm stuck at work trying to eradicate some brown recluse spiders in a giant west nashville house.

Chris

Travis C.
09-09-2011, 01:17 PM
depending on how long i'm stuck at work trying to eradicate some brown recluse spiders in a giant west nashville house.

Chris

Who do you work for?

Reel Tune
09-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Hey, I might head out there. Are you taking the kayak? If not I might just come out and visit with a cigar. Depends on how this 4hr sleep thing is going to work, and I might get out before daylight Sunday morning (don't know where).

txnative
09-09-2011, 03:45 PM
MTKA, negative on the aqua-sled, i'm mounting the 'ducer and letting it sit. Plus, i'd like to get out during the day first.

Travis, i work for terminix.

Chris

MNfisher
09-12-2011, 06:45 PM
How was the fishing?? I am thinking of heading down there on the Hender side tomorrow night after work. Anybody else going to be there? Looks like there will be 2 or more generators goin.

MNfisher
09-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Oops, I got the days wrong. I will be trying to head down there Wednesday evening. It would be nice to have some company to take a picture of the massive rockfish I am going to catch:D

txnative
09-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Stripers were absent, but catfish were willing to play. I caught a pair of 10 lb blues and broke off a much larger one. I was using cutbait. Small 6-7" skippies are thick in the current, and a sabiki with sz 8 droppers caught all i wanted. Shad are running the banks, both gizzard and threadfin, so a cast net would be a good accessory, also. I was fishing directly across from the lock wall's break (where the outflow is) and casting straight out and allowing my weight to hang in the rocks. Fish will pop the weight free on the strike, and 3/0-4/0 circle hooks seal the deal. All i had to do was cast, set my rod in a suitable gap in the rocks, and weight. I used a 1.5 oz bank sinker on a 3 way rig. Most hits come in seconds, and anywhere the current eddies held cats and drum. White bass, walleye, and sauger are in the current, so jigs would work, too. If you have any more questions, let me know. Good luck.

Chris

Alphahawk
09-12-2011, 08:36 PM
That would be a much shorter drive for me but for the life of me on my survey trips up there...plus I used to live in Gallatin 40 years ago.....so it is not like I have never been to Old Hickory Dam....how do you get down to the water close to the dam without killing yourself??

Regards

Travis C.
09-12-2011, 08:46 PM
That would be a much shorter drive for me but for the life of me on my survey trips up there...plus I used to live in Gallatin 40 years ago.....so it is not like I have never been to Old Hickory Dam....how do you get down to the water close to the dam without killing yourself??

Regards

You have to be part mountain goat. :D

Some days its worth it and others you cuss all the way back up.

master_cat
09-13-2011, 02:56 AM
so was u fishing the lock side of the dam or generator side

txnative
09-13-2011, 06:53 AM
Generator side, or hendersonville side, same thing.

Chris

txnative
09-14-2011, 02:22 PM
I'll be at the dam around 7:30 tonight, if anyone wants to meet up.

Chris

MNfisher
09-14-2011, 04:55 PM
I will be down there! Hope to meet you tonight!

MNfisher
09-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Fished for a bit last night, got one small cat, a stripe and several skippies. Man, on light gear, those skippies are a blast! Saw a few smaller(3-5 pound) rockfish caught. I caught nothing big, but fun times!

TNtransplant08
09-17-2011, 12:17 PM
I went friday morning, just before sunup. The smallmouth bass active for the first hour and than the bite went dead. I caught one just a shade under 4 pounds and several smaller ones. Seems like the last few times I've gone, the fish were prefering chartruse colored baits over anything else. I would change colors, but always end up going back to the chart.

I saw a few folks catching some smaller rockfish out of the boils.

Foundationman 1
09-17-2011, 02:32 PM
I went out on Cordell Hull this morning at 5:30 and just got home, caught Bass 8 total all on top water plug, 3 went 4+ lb's and got my 1 st small mouth, that was the 1 st one I got it went 4lb.4oz. I think the small mouth fight harder than the large mouth.I am not familiar with Old Hickory dam, where do you fish and what type of fish do you usually catch?

Thanks