PDA

View Full Version : On way to Pickwick.

Alphahawk
09-07-2011, 07:04 AM
I am out the door to Pickwick. Lots of water and should be a great day...but it is called fishing. Hope it is not too much water...it already covers the road bed I stand in at my Crappie hole. But I am taking rods from a UL with 3# test to a Striper rig spooled with 60# test Power Pro. Have my camera so won't be any fish tales when I come back..LOL.

Regards

Travis C.
09-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Good luck and be safe.

You'll definitely want to keep your feet under you near that current.

thehick176
09-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Be careful Alpha, i hear they are pumpin hella water out of there right now. Let us know how it goes.

TNtransplant08
09-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Good luck and let us know how you do!

clean air
09-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Becarful! Alot of fast water now.

MNfisher
09-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Be careful! Good Luck! And can't wait to see your pics!!

Alphahawk
09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Did not get into the Big Boys...meaning Stripers. A friend I Crappie fish in the Fall through Spring with was down there today and wanted me to stay until the Stripers move in around 6:00PM. He caught 20 yesterday with the biggest one being 18 pounds. That is a nice Striper for Pickwick. I got there early and was beat and had the long drive home. The water was still too hot in my Crappie hole...88 degrees. I went over and fished next to the boils. Two guys showed up from West TN that I have fished with for years down there and they wanted me to help them catch some Bluegill. These guys have been out of work for over a year and they are trying to get some meat in the freezer for Winter. How could you tell someone like that no. So put down the big pole and started fishing with the Trout Magnet....was not catching anything with bigger baits anyway. Almost on every cast was catching either a good Bluegill or Sandies...Yellow Bass. I knew it would happen sooner or later...the Smallies showed up. I only caught four but on 3# test line with a leader in that current. What a fight! All 4 were same size. Those fish out of that river sure are colored up pretty. Had to crawl down the rip-rap as the water was up over sidewalk and catwalk. No good way to take a pic by yourself. Got to get a cheap tripod and use the timer. The other guys were only about 25 feet from me but us old guys don't like walking in that stuff. I have seen folks break a leg down there doing just what we did today. When I left the guys had about 150 nice Bluegill. I had a ball catching the Sandies and Bluegill in that current. I am hoping this Winter to get one of those Go Pro cameras. The Smallies put on quite a show. I am going to go back Friday and maybe will not go so early and wait on the Stripers.

Regards

tkwalker
09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I had rather eat gills than any fish in the water ... Love them !!!! <'TK><:D

Alphahawk
09-07-2011, 09:39 PM

Those are nice Gills but in the Spring down there they come up in the boils by the 1000's..and they are as big as pie plates. I will go down there at the end of April or first week of May...depending on water temp...and fish for them. I am sure it is the same way at Old Hickory but for the life of me I can't find a safe way to get down next to the boils up there. On my trips up there a few times to check it out I have seen people fishing right next to them from the bank but there is no way I could get down there.

Regards

Travis C.
09-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Sounds like real good time. Those gills are colored up nice as well as the smallie. My stuff is on the way...already have rods waiting to be spooled.

The drive is the thing I hate about my Obey trips too. It being 2hrs one way makes a long day after fishing several hours. But I'd drive it every day if I could.

Alphahawk
09-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Sounds like real good time. Those gills are colored up nice as well as the smallie. My stuff is on the way...already have rods waiting to be spooled.

The drive is the thing I hate about my Obey trips too. It being 2hrs one way makes a long day after fishing several hours. But I'd drive it every day if I could.

I am with you on that. I have made that drive a couple of times too. I learned a big lesson fishing below Normandy last February. I was catching Trout as fast I as I could cast and did not stop to rest or eat. Sometimes for no reason I get sleepy after I eat carbs. I ate my lunch as I was leaving the parking lot at 4:30PM. I fell asleep at the wheel and ran off the road between Shelbyville and Chapel Hill. The car went down an embankment and came back up into the road and turned around heading the opposite direction. I was very lucky. As soon as I get my kayak I will be able to fish more around Columbia....Williams Port Lakes and the Duck. Those long drives are a killer..especially in the Winter.

Regards

MNfisher
09-08-2011, 05:44 AM

I am with you there!!! Delicious!

Nice work Alphahawk! Looks like fun!

Travis C.
09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
I am with you on that. I have made that drive a couple of times too. I learned a big lesson fishing below Normandy last February. I was catching Trout as fast I as I could cast and did not stop to rest or eat. Sometimes for no reason I get sleepy after I eat carbs. I ate my lunch as I was leaving the parking lot at 4:30PM. I fell asleep at the wheel and ran off the road between Shelbyville and Chapel Hill. The car went down an embankment and came back up into the road and turned around heading the opposite direction. I was very lucky. As soon as I get my kayak I will be able to fish more around Columbia....Williams Port Lakes and the Duck. Those long drives are a killer..especially in the Winter.

Regards

I know that feeling as well. My bad problem is since I have the little ones when I do get out for a trip up there its a real looong day. Usually after being up with the girls at 6am then driving 2hrs around 10pm that night, fish until noon or so next day and drive back home all pulling the boat. My buddies aren't always reliable on going so most the time I am by myself.

Once I caught a nap at night in the hospital parking lot in Celina and did not pay attention to where I was parking. Around 3am or so life flight almost landed on me since the helipad was in the parking lot. It was so close the air from the blades blew my car back-n-forth pretty violently. I just laid the seat back and hid afraid I'd be in trouble for being there.

Even all the flats, illnesses, close calls I have ended up with going to the Obey that water has something that draws you back both below and above the Dam.

bd-
09-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I know what you mean with kids. They never let you get to sleep on time on nights when you're planning to get up really early for a long drive to a fishing spot the next day. :)

The toughest thing is when I wake up at 4:00 a.m., fish hard until dark, drive a couple hours home, and then my wife is there with the kids saying, "Oh no you're NOT going to bed! You're going to help with the kids until THEY are ready to go to bed!"

Now THAT makes for a long day!!! :eek:

bd

clean air
09-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Alpha you ever try Nickajack dam?I live in Manchester and I go there alot.Its good if you know how to fish it from bank or boat.I know the duck river above the dam well!The walleyes are on the move.

Alphahawk
09-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Alpha you ever try Nickajack dam?I live in Manchester and I go there alot.Its good if you know how to fish it from bank or boat.I know the duck river above the dam well!The walleyes are on the move.

No I have not. I need to go. I have been to Wilson and Wheeler. You can't fish them from the bank like at Pickwick. Used to go to Cordell Hull but the good fishing spots from the bank below the dam have been closed for almost 2 years now. I go below Normandy in the Winter and early Spring for a close Trout waters...even though it is just stockers it is a lot fun. Fishing below Center Hill is good when they are not generating....I walk up to the water fall and catch a several different specie of fish. My son and I limted out on Walleye last Spring below Normandy. We were fishing for Trout but started catching these 20 inch Walleye. I let my son keep those....but they are good. I am open to going anywhere I know there are fish. I need to try Nickajack.

Regards

clean air
09-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Nickajack is good from the bank.TVA did a good job with a pier and sidewalk.Pickwick is a long way.I walleye fish the duck that feeds the lake you get some bigger fish moving up the river to spawn.Below the dam is good to.The part of the duck I fish we catch big smallies,whites,and walleyes.I will be glad to help you all I can below Nickajack from boat or bank.3 months ago we landed a 70pound blue.I have had some bad days there and some of my best.Its hard for me to find a steady partner anymore and my kids need a few more years before I take them out for the big ones.I dont hunt or fish much alone anymore far from home.

Alphahawk
09-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Nickajack is good from the bank.TVA did a good job with a pier and sidewalk.Pickwick is a long way.I walleye fish the duck that feeds the lake you get some bigger fish moving up the river to spawn.Below the dam is good to.The part of the duck I fish we catch big smallies,whites,and walleyes.I will be glad to help you all I can below Nickajack from boat or bank.3 months ago we landed a 70pound blue.I have had some bad days there and some of my best.Its hard for me to find a steady partner anymore and my kids need a few more years before I take them out for the big ones.I dont hunt or fish much alone anymore far from home.

Thanks a lot....I appreciate that. Nickajack is only a little farther drive for me than Pickwick.

Regards