PDA

View Full Version : Non resident trout license?

Turkeyhunter_2008
09-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Can anybody tell me what license I need to buy?

I bought my non resident fishing license (type 076) no trout this year when I bought my non resident hunting licenses back in the spring. My wife and I are going to drive down to the Caney Fork and Center Hill dam in the morning and I thought I would do a little fishing while I was there and we were thinking about going back later in the week and doing a float trip.
My problem is that for non residents I don't see a listing to add the trout permit to an existing license. I'm not planning on keeping any fish but I don't want to take a chance on a ticket if fishing for anything that bites.
Anybody know what license I need?

Travis C.
09-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Either a 78,80,81 or 83.

Unfortunately no annual stamp for $18 if out of state.

Travis C.
09-04-2011, 08:58 AM
http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/fishlicense.html

Turkeyhunter_2008
09-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Do they not have a non resident version of the trout stamp by itself? I already have an annual non resident license and just want to add trout. Seems kinda silly to have to buy another fishing license just to be able to get a trout permit added on.

Travis C.
09-04-2011, 09:22 AM
No.

That is why they passed a 1 day all fish addition to non-residents this year. The state was really missing out on the out of state business who wouldn't pay 18 for one day or two.

It does seem silly but for the one day fisherman so did having to buy an annual.

bd-
09-04-2011, 09:41 AM
I could be wrong, but unfortunately I don't think there's a way to add an annual trout permit if you've already bought an annual nonresident fishing license without trout.

Your cheapest approach for the rest of the year would be just to buy a nonresident one-day trout permit for any day you want to trout fish - hopefully you'd only be intending to go trout fishing a time or two between now and next February.

Luckily, we're getting closer to the end of the year, and next year you can buy a nonresident all species license if you're intending to fish in Tennessee more.

bd

Turkeyhunter_2008
09-04-2011, 09:44 AM
What makes it worse is that I was planning on going several times this fall. I would rather just be able to go ahead and buy a permit to cover all of the rest of the year but to do that I would have to buy the $81 annual with trout and the $41 I already spent on my annual no trout would be wasted. I don't have a problem paying the 18 for one day if I was just coming to fish for one day but if I make more than two trips I'm already spending more than what the additional trout stamp would have cost to begin with.

Travis C.
09-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm not planning on keeping any fish but I don't want to take a chance on a ticket if fishing for anything that bites.

The law I believe reads "in possession" of a trout then you need to have a stamp. If you are not really fishing for them you must put the back as soon as you get them in. You don't have to have a trout stamp to fish the Caney but like all laws they are at the judgement of the officer in front of you.

Travis C.
09-04-2011, 12:21 PM
If you want a local trout fix, they stocking Jennings Creek on Wednesday up behind Riverside Golf Course in Bowling Green with about 1,000 rainbows. It says the trout waters are from 0-6.8 so if I am thinking right it is from the confluence of Barren River up 6 miles or so.

Lick Creek in Simpson Cty over by Mt Aerial on 585 has rainbows as well. You will want to park at the small bridge then wade fish downstream.

Trammel Creek over in Allen County is getting 2250 on Wednesday.

All these are found on:http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/troutstreams2011.pdf

bd-
09-04-2011, 02:03 PM
The law I believe reads "in possession" of a trout then you need to have a stamp. If you are not really fishing for them you must put the back as soon as you get them in. You don't have to have a trout stamp to fish the Caney but like all laws they are at the judgement of the officer in front of you.

Sorry, but I don't believe this is entirely accurate. Look at page 8 of the Fishing Guide - you have to have a trout permit to "fish for" trout, whether or not you keep them.

Obviously, if you get caught with trout in your possession and no permit, it's a slam dunk case.

I guess if you were fishing catch and release, it might be a slightly tougher case for the officer to prove, because he has to show you were "fishing for trout" as opposed to fishing for something else and accidentally catching a trout. It's going to come down to common sense. If you're on the upper 10 miles of the Caney Fork fishing with power bait, rooster tails, or flies, you're going to have a really hard time convincing a judge that you were striper fishing and "accidentally" caught a trout.

bd

bd-
09-04-2011, 02:12 PM
What makes it worse is that I was planning on going several times this fall. I would rather just be able to go ahead and buy a permit to cover all of the rest of the year but to do that I would have to buy the $81 annual with trout and the $41 I already spent on my annual no trout would be wasted. I don't have a problem paying the 18 for one day if I was just coming to fish for one day but if I make more than two trips I'm already spending more than what the additional trout stamp would have cost to begin with.

Yeah, the lack of an add-on annual nonresident trout permit is a "hole" in our licenses. I believe Kentucky has a stand-alone nonresident trout permit, but they have a similar "hole" because they lack a single day trout permit. I never can decide whether to buy an annual license and trout permit or just a 1 day plus trout - it mostly depends on how the Cumberland is fishing on any given year, and it seems like whatever I buy tends to leave me overspending for the amount of days I wind up fishing that year.

If I were in your shoes, I might just fish the Cumberland and Trammel between now and February and hit the Caney harder next year.

bd

Turkeyhunter_2008
09-04-2011, 09:27 PM
This was more about a float trip down the Caney and being legal to fish than a trout fix. Lol. This will be the first float trip my wife will go on with me and she doesn't fish, just takes the camera. I guess if we end up going I will just buy the one day plus trout.
Next year though I will go ahead and buy the trout with my annual non resident.

Travis, thanks for the suggestions back in KY. I am fairly familiar with Lick and Trammel. I grew up in Simpson county and live there now plus lived in Allen county for almost 10 years. Never really tried much for the trout in them but the smallmouth and Kentuckies in the Trammel and Middle fork are loads of fun though!!

Anyway guys thanks for all the help

Anybody have any suggestions on any other rivers or creeks in middle TN that would be a good float that has any of the livery services similar to the Caney so we don't have to take two vehicles?

Travis C.
09-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Sorry, but I don't believe this is entirely accurate. Look at page 8 of the Fishing Guide - you have to have a trout permit to "fish for" trout, whether or not you keep them.

Obviously, if you get caught with trout in your possession and no permit, it's a slam dunk case.

I guess if you were fishing catch and release, it might be a slightly tougher case for the officer to prove, because he has to show you were "fishing for trout" as opposed to fishing for something else and accidentally catching a trout. It's going to come down to common sense. If you're on the upper 10 miles of the Caney Fork fishing with power bait, rooster tails, or flies, you're going to have a really hard time convincing a judge that you were striper fishing and "accidentally" caught a trout.

bd

Thanks for clearing that up bd. I was told that by an officer one time at Bettys but you know how that goes. I would rather someone be safe than sorry. Definitely if you are fishing for trout you better have one.

Travis C.
09-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Anybody have any suggestions on any other rivers or creeks in middle TN that would be a good float that has any of the livery services similar to the Caney so we don't have to take two vehicles?

We have done the red river canoe rentals a few times. They shuttle. It is up towards Adairsville going north out of Springfield. I don't know how the water levels are in the late summer.

You should have plenty of water for a few days this week at least. :D