PDA

View Full Version : New member - with questions about TN fishing

jkgourmet
08-29-2011, 04:17 PM
When I was a kid, I used to fish with my dad - mostly off the shores of Long Island and other East Coast beaches. Sometimes lake fishing in Canada. I always enjoyed it, and when I married, I tried to get my husband interested in fishing.

However, we live in Mesa, Arizona - the fishing sucks in the desert (we even had a pontoon boat in the marina at Saguaro Lake). He became bored quickly. Frankly, so did I. And we sold our boat and hadn't touched the rods for years.

Early this year, we spent 3 months in Cape Coral, FL. We rented a boat for 8 day/s month, and had an absolute blast with the inshore fishing. In 24 days on the boat, we caught over 35 different species, and never went a day without at least 4 fish of some size caught and released. Some days we caught 20-30 in just a few hours, though mostly very small guys.

Happily, he's become really interested in fishing now - and offering to buy him a boat probably helped. :p We have been considering relocating for some time, and REALLY want to assure that fishing will be part of our retirement.

We are NOT interested in deep sea fishing, or catching lunkers or trophy fish. Truthfully, we don't really care what we catch. We just enjoy the fun of fishing and boating. Actually, to be precise, it's not fishing that we enjoy: It's catching. (and usually releasing)

For a variety of reasons, Florida is not an option for us. For a variety of reasons, I'd prefer to have a boat on calmer water, like a lake. But if the fishing is really slow, like in AZ, that's not going to be what we are looking for. And at our age, we don't want to trailer the boat, so lake front housing or a nearby marina (15 minutes maximum) is essential.

So - is TN a place that we should be considering? What areas/lakes would provide active fishing, as well as be near a city/suburb that has a good variety of amenities like restaurants, bars, movie theaters and billiard halls. (we are NOT rural people.)

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm hoping that TN might be a solution for us - I've visited the state and always found it to be beautiful and welcoming.

jrbaker90
08-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Have live here in west tn all my life and I know of many good. And fishing lakes around here I live north of Memphis I know of many good places to fish I like going to reelfoot lake because its a really pretty lake and its some good fishing to and I like glen springs with isnt That far away from me and there's herb parson which I have never fished at before and then you have the state parks around like Shelby forest and fort pillow which has pretty good fishing I don't know too much about middle tn and east tn but I know there's good fish about anywhere in tn. Good luck

Fishaholic
08-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Fishing up here is great and relaxing. I moved here from Florida 4 years ago and although the fishing is a little different compared to the ocean you can definitely catch a bunch, with the occasional lunker striped bass or catfish (20+LBS) it can be real interesting. I live in Hendersonville a block off the river/lake and I chose it because it has everything I need. TN has NO state income tax, and the cost of iiving is moderate. Sales tax is 9.25%, and as far as city amenities there are plenty of thngs to do here and we are only 30 minutes from downtown Nashville. Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions.

Alphahawk
08-30-2011, 01:15 AM
I now live in Middle TN but lived in West TN for several years....and caught tons of fish there...as a matter of fact just returned from fishing at Pickwick Dam today. In West TN you are going to be limited to shallow lakes and warm water species only. East of Nashville is Center Hill Lake and it is a deep water lake that is beautiful and full of fish. The bonus is you can go below the dam at that lake and catch Trout year round. You are also close to two more lakes those being Dale Hollow and Cordell Hull. I myself need to move to Center Hill Lake as I find myself making the 100 mile one-way trip sometimes 5 days a week.

Regards

jkgourmet
08-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the information - Center Hill Lake looks beautiful and I will be researching it more. But it appears to be more than 60 miles away from Nashville. Is that correct?

We are really not rural people. Our other interests make us want to stay near (or in) a larger city or immediate suburbs.

What about Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga? Is there any in-city or VERY close to city lake fishing and boating (Meaning - the kind of good, active fishing I've described in my OP.) Or are the rivers that run through there large rivers with active fishing and safe boating?

Reel Tune
08-31-2011, 08:25 AM
My wife and I lived in Jacksonville, Fl for several years. We still make it back to Florida a couple times a year to visit. We love Tennessee, and plan on sticking around for a long time. It has great rivers, reserivors, and lakes with many different species. You have the mountains, and all kinds of outdoor places if you want to take a day trip. Being close to Nashville is great, there is great food of about any kind, great music, and shows. It has a little bit of everything, and when we need our salt fix we just load up the gear, hop in the car and drive about 12hrs.

Travis C.
08-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Depending on how close you want to live to Nashville that will affect your lakes of fishing. The Cumberland River which runs through the city is not really a riding around relaxing river due to the places you will have to access it aren't easy to get to.

Nashville is not really a walking-living city like say Chicago. You have plenty of things to do here but there are no grocers in town or household item stores either. You will still have to get in your car then drive to them. You can do socially entertaining stuff but places that have essentials have always been an achilles heel to living in Nashville.

If you were to live in Mt Juliet that will place you 20mins from downtown, 15min from airport, 15mins from Percy Priest a popular rec and good fishing lake, 18min from Old Hickory Lake another popular rec lake and better fishing lake, 45min from Center Hill Lake very popular rec and fishing lake.

Mt Juliet is probably one of the fastest growing areas in middle TN if not whole state. There are a lot of places to go/do plus it is close in proximity to Nashville.

I would suggest coming in and staying somewhere you are interested in then spend a couple days fishing or riding around these lakes.

ps... Don't go to Dale Hollow Lake. You will become rural people and move there. Probably the crown jewel of the state. It has it all. Lots of species of fish, great fishing, undeveloped on the lake, clear cool water and eagles reside there year round.

jkgourmet
08-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Glad tO hear some positive Information on Mt Juliet! I had already added it to MY list - especially since there is a new Del Webb community being built.

Any responses for Knoxville or Chattanooga?

fisherman550
08-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Chattanooga has Lake Chickamauga (sp) bordering it and the TN river runs right downtown. The lake has many species of fish. Metro area will give you anything you want. Communities like Hixson, Red Bank, Soddy Daisy, etc. will get you out of the downtown area, but still give you access in just a few minutes. Knoxville also has some good choices for fishing, but still gives you the metro area you seem to want. Would suggest just checking them out, but in my humble opinion, Center Hill lake is the best in the state. I try to fish it at least 3 times per week, and I have to drive at least an hour to get there.

jkgourmet
08-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Chattanooga has Lake Chickamauga (sp) bordering it and the TN river runs right downtown. The lake has many species of fish. Metro area will give you anything you want. Communities like Hixson, Red Bank, Soddy Daisy, etc. will get you out of the downtown area, but still give you access in just a few minutes. Knoxville also has some good choices for fishing, but still gives you the metro area you seem to want. Would suggest just checking them out, but in my humble opinion, Center Hill lake is the best in the state. I try to fish it at least 3 times per week, and I have to drive at least an hour to get there.

We will certainly be visiting all three of these metropolitan areas, and we're looking forward to it. In fact, we would rent before we buy anything.

Fisherman520 - in regard to Center Hill Lake - I notice it has many marinas, which is great for us. But are there any cities nearby - meaning within a 15-20 minute drive? My husband plays pool 4-5 days per week, so being near an area with several pool halls is essential to his mental health (and our marriage!!!) I see Cookeville might be that close?

fisherman550
08-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Cookeville is very close to Center Hill. In fact, there is a marina called Cookeville Boat Dock-full service marina, great restaurant, ad only a few minutes from downtown Cookeville. In addition, Floating Mill Recreation area is only 15 minutes from Cookeville, via I-40. I camp at Floating Mill many times during the summer in my RV.
Cookeville is not a Metro area, but has many extras due to being a college town. (TN Tech) Some great restaurants, and I'm sure, plenty of pool halls.

TomD
09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Cookville has one pool hall (El Ray) but a number of bars with table (bar tables) depends on the environment you like to play in.
Murfreesboro has a couple of pool halls, but its a college town and lacks the atmosphere that you would find in Nashville. For Marinas Percy Priest lake has some great fishing. Its easy access from Murfreesboro or Nashville 15-20 minutes is iffy depending on where you located. there are so many neighboring communities of Nashville, Old Hickory, Gallatin, Lebanon, If you like the evening life as well as the fishing I'd look at whats happening around Nashville,
Soddy Daisy just north of Chattanooga and Chattanooga itself has some great fishing and nightlife and I sure Chattanooga has more than one pool hall.

Call the chamber of commerce's in the different communities.

You want the best of all worlds? San Diego. Nothing compares anywhere in the world. Pool is the best out side of LA, fishing salt and fresh water with unlimited marinas and live aboard (get into it big time). Dining and nightlife, nothing to compare anywhere . Weather, flawless and everything within minutes of everything. Cost of living ??? Well who cares!

I kept my 48' motorsailer on shelter Island and the slip with live aboard cable tv, phone, water, secure parking was $800/month. Restaurants, the best. ...OR... You can moor in the embarcadaro downtown S.D for $30 a month maybe a little more now and you have to use a your dingy to the landing, its right downtown. Billiards hall walking distance from the landing. I moored and lived in the Embarcadaro for 5 years before moving to Tn. For fishing boating and nightlife few places compare to Southern Ca. and SD Just one thing to remember every boat in the water is for sale so buy wisely in that neck of the woods.

I love Tn the middle TN area is hard to beat, do some exploring and you'll find just what your looking for its here.

I lived in Mesa years ago and fishing in the Salt River really sucks especially since it didn't never have no water in it(lol). If you move to Tn you'll begin talking a little funny shortly after. Good luckYa'll

bd-
09-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Based on what I'm reading, Old Hickory or Chickamauga would probably be most ideal for you. Old Hickory is close to Nashville, you can live on the lake, and there are several marinas. Percy Priest is also close to Nashville and has several marinas but no houses on the lake. Chickamauga is similar to Old Hickory but is close to Chattanooga rather than Nashville. Chattanooga is a smaller town than Nashville - I have lived in both and I prefer Nashville, but that really comes down to personal preference about what kind of city you like.

Both Old Hickory and Chickamauga have good fishing for bass, catfish, and panfish, as well as other species like white bass and stripers. Chickamauga has some good fishing for yellow perch too if you know where to look.

There are some very beautiful lakes farther east in Tennessee like Center Hill and Dale Hollow, but they are not as close to major metropolitan areas.

bd

Scott715
09-04-2011, 09:32 PM

I like Nickajack too.