PDA

View Full Version : Info on Center Hill

Crappiebob
08-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Hello everyone.
I am new to the forum, just moved here from TX. Going to Center Hill, tomorrow to try the Crappie. Thought about trolling with crankbaits, if that didn't work, try to find some structure. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

fisherman550
08-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Can't help with the crappie since I fish for walleye. Can tell you that the water is pretty clear, surface temp 84 early morning, going up to as high as 87 in the afternoon. Most fish are deep, and are hunting levels where there is some oxygen. Fishing will improve once we get some rain, and the water cools down a little.
Water was down about 4 feet yesterday from where it was a couple of weeks ago.
Wish I could be of more help to you. Good luck!

Alphahawk
08-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Can't help with the crappie since I fish for walleye. Can tell you that the water is pretty clear, surface temp 84 early morning, going up to as high as 87 in the afternoon. Most fish are deep, and are hunting levels where there is some oxygen. Fishing will improve once we get some rain, and the water cools down a little.
Water was down about 4 feet yesterday from where it was a couple of weeks ago.
Wish I could be of more help to you. Good luck!

Center Hill is great for big Black Nose Crappie....however I don't know of anyone who targets them this time of year there. Of course I don't know any local folk at all up there but my nephew guides on that lake for Crappie and he has always gone out in the Winter and early Spring. I have caught them in the late Spring but have never caught any later than that. But that does not mean you can't. I just don't know where to tell you to go get them this time of year.

Regards

TNtransplant08
08-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I've heard people on this forum mention them several times now. What exactly is black nosed crappie. Is it just another name for black crappie, a subspecies, or another species altogether? I always thought there were two species: black crappie and white crappie. Just curious.

fisherman550
08-19-2011, 10:07 PM
I've heard people on this forum mention them several times now. What exactly is black nosed crappie. Is it just another name for black crappie, a subspecies, or another species altogether? I always thought there were two species: black crappie and white crappie. Just curious.

I think you are right-just another name some have given to the black crappie. Kind of like bluegill and bream. I know some have blue around their gills, some have an orange breast, some have neither. I think they are all the same fish. I could be wrong there though. If there are really more than that I would like to hear about it.

Alphahawk
08-19-2011, 10:20 PM
I think you are right-just another name some have given to the black crappie. Kind of like bluegill and bream. I know some have blue around their gills, some have an orange breast, some have neither. I think they are all the same fish. I could be wrong there though. If there are really more than that I would like to hear about it.

You will know a Black Nose Crappie when you catch one. It has a wide black stripe that runs from the top of its "nose" all the way down the back. It is not a sub-specie it just has a different gene but it is a member of the Black Crappie family but there is a difference between a Black Crappie and a Black Nose Crappie...the markings. Some folks have always said they fight much harder than a regular Crappie but there is no scientific proof of that.

Regards

clean air
08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
This is what I was told 20 yrs ago.The black nose and black are same fish except the stripe on the nose.I hear they are a hatchery fish that came from ARK. I think.T.W.R.A. started using them to stock because the black stripe was like a tag and they could better see the results of the stocking program since our crappie dont have the stripe.Some lakes thats about all you catch is black nose.Normandy was full of black nose when I used to fish it for crappie.The nose looks like its been marked by a black marker.You will see it if you look for it. They may have a better survival rate I'm not sure.Some one else on this site will know for sure thats just what I remeber from my crappie days on Normandy.

bd-
08-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Yup, the blacknose crappie is genetically identical to a normal black crappie. They are specially bred for the "blacknose" marking - a black stripe that runs up the ridge of the back from the nose to the dorsal fin. The marking can occasionally be found in wild fish, but it's rare, so it's an ideal marker for hatchery breeding. TWRA used blacknoses when they started stocking crappie so that it would be easier to identify how many stocked fish were surviving to catchable size.

The "blacknose" marking is easy to identify when you see it. Here is a picture off the internet for people who haven't seen one.

http://www.ms-sportsman.com/pics/med/p1241105123.jpg

bd

fisherman550
08-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Yup, the blacknose crappie is genetically identical to a normal black crappie. They are specially bred for the "blacknose" marking - a black stripe that runs up the ridge of the back from the nose to the dorsal fin. The marking can occasionally be found in wild fish, but it's rare, so it's an ideal marker for hatchery breeding. TWRA used blacknoses when they started stocking crappie so that it would be easier to identify how many stocked fish were surviving to catchable size.

The "blacknose" marking is easy to identify when you see it. Here is a picture off the internet for people who haven't seen one.

http://www.ms-sportsman.com/pics/med/p1241105123.jpg

bd
Great info right there! I never knew about that. Thanks for the post and info.