PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night River Fishing Part II (8/14)

Travis C.
08-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Got out on the river around 9pm last night and fished until 330 this morning. I caught several fish the sizes shown below on the fly. Had one real nice blowup on my popper but other than that mostly average fish. I ended up with 12 total and one gar about 4 1/2 ft long get off at the boat. That did not hurt my feelings since it was night time and he had more teeth than me.

All night I kept wondering if I should pack up and head back to my familliar stretch but instead kept fishing new-to-me water.

I had a blast anyways and better yet no rain.

Nice little fellow:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/81311020-Copy.jpg

Even a bow came out to play:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/81311024-Copy.jpg

Finally a little better fish:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/81311018-Copy.jpg

The trout itch is scratched for for a little while. Now it's time to get back after those Old Hick big mouths. :D

Reel Tune
08-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the report Travis.
I had plans to take someone out there Saturday night, but plans fell thru. I'm kinda glad it did because that would have made me have to stay awake for 36-40hrs, and the guy I was supposed to fish with was already up for close to 40hrs.
Old Hickory bucket mouths would be a good one too.

Travis C.
08-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the report Travis.
I had plans to take someone out there Saturday night, but plans fell thru. I'm kinda glad it did because that would have made me have to stay awake for 36-40hrs, and the guy I was supposed to fish with was already up for close to 40hrs.
Old Hickory bucket mouths would be a good one too.

I know the feeling man. Saturday morning is my wife's sleep in day so I had been up since 6:30am with the kids before heading out last night. It makes for a loooong drive home since it's about 1 1/2 hours one way for me.

bd-
08-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah, that drive back from the Caney after a long day/night of fishing can be murder if you're tired. My eyelids always tend to get heavy just around the time I pass the Linwood Road exit.

bd

Catchingtrout
08-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Nice Job Travis.

RiverShoes
08-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Nice! Good pictures too. Envious... I was standing outside with the dog before bed Sat night and thinking, man this would be a great time to go catch some!

MNfisher
08-15-2011, 04:57 PM
I just moved here about 4 months ago. I have never done the night thing on the Caney. I have floated it a few times during the day and caught a few rainbows. If you ever want some company, let me know! But totally understand if not:-) Nice work on the browns!

Alphahawk
08-15-2011, 10:22 PM
I would come home on vacation in the spring and summer while working in Saudi and my two nephews would take me to Dale Hollow to night fish for Small Mouth. Riding back with my nephew at about four in the morning I would have to watch him close as he would doze off. Several times I would just tell him to stop and I would drive. It is just best to stay over when doing that night fishing.

Regards

Travis C.
08-16-2011, 09:27 PM
I just moved here about 4 months ago. I have never done the night thing on the Caney. I have floated it a few times during the day and caught a few rainbows. If you ever want some company, let me know! But totally understand if not:-) Nice work on the browns!

I'll give you a shout next time around. It will be probably in October. I am going to get back after some Old Hickory bass the next couple months and get after some Obey trout in Sept with the fam.

Travis C.
08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I would come home on vacation in the spring and summer while working in Saudi and my two nephews would take me to Dale Hollow to night fish for Small Mouth. Riding back with my nephew at about four in the morning I would have to watch him close as he would doze off. Several times I would just tell him to stop and I would drive. It is just best to stay over when doing that night fishing.

Regards

Boy, I have done that as well. I like fishing the Obey in the fall and would drive up at 9 or 10pm (2hr drive for me) fish until 10 or 11am then head back. Needless to say I give that Mcd's in Macon Cty and big gas station at the crossroads in Westmoreland a good bump in coffee sales.

MNfisher
08-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Sounds great! Good luck with your trips!