PDA

View Full Version : Quick Kayak Trips nearest to Nashville?

RiverShoes
08-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I just got a Coosa as a present from my wife, and I want to get out on the water before work in the morning some. Where are some good places to go that are near Nashville? I live in Green Hills near Lipscomb. I know about the ramp on Hwy 100 near Ensworth. What else isn't too far away from me? Are there any areas that connect to the Cumberland that are close, like tributaries?

Travis C.
08-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Probably the Harpeth.

RiverShoes
08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
I was thinking about going to Priest Lake, the dam is only about 15-20 minutes from my house. Is there somewhere around there that is easy to get to? I'm a kayak fishing n00b, so I also don't want to go anywhere dangerous. I figured if I went out there I'd stay shallow.

txnative
08-09-2011, 08:10 PM
If priest is dumping water, the stretch from the dam to the hwy 70 bridge can be good. Use white slug-gos, tx rigged, and don't be surprised if a 10 lb striper clobbers it. Cranks work, too...ask midtn'yakfisher.

Chris

TNtransplant08
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I drove by jpp dam while working today and they had two gates open.

Reel Tune
08-10-2011, 07:10 AM
I don't know what you are talking about txnative there are no fish down there. I would say your best bet is the Harpeth it's close to you. Congrats on your Coosa it's one that doesn't disapoint for small to mid sized waters.

Travis C.
08-10-2011, 07:16 AM
If Percy is that close. I'd just go paddle around some of the lake. There are a few areas to go on the lower lake where you won't have to worry about getting run over.

bd-
08-10-2011, 07:42 AM
I think the Corps is keeping a couple spill gates on JPP open slightly to provide minimum flow in the tailwater and oxygenate the water. The oxygen is pretty much depleted from the deep water above the dam, so they have to sluice water through the spill gates. Otherwise, when they generate, the water that's coming through the generator has no oxygen and it's intolerable for a lot of the fish species in the tailwater.

bd

Adough
08-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Harpeth at ensworth is a good bet. You can easily paddle upstream from there, making it a one car trip.

culprit7.5
08-10-2011, 11:49 AM
If you launch at any Marina on the lake you are immediately in a "no Wake" area.

Since the dam is so close to you you could try the ramp at Hamilton Creek and paddle around the corner to your left (sailboat marina) and have all the room and fishing spots you need. You can also go to your right and go to the end of the creek and you will be in about 6 ft of water and probably have it to yourself. I often see Crew teams practicing there and they seem to do fine.
...Don't be afraid to troll some kind of swimbait behind you through the middle of the creek. I often do this while working the shore and almost always pick a few fish up. Smallies, Hybrid, Largemouth and yes let's not forget to mention the Drum.

Another is Elm Hill (my fav b/c they have security) $5.00 fee. You can spend your whole day in this area and not have to worry about anyone hammering you with waves.

Regardless, I would go for a sunrise paddle because of temps and the water will be like glass.

Good luck and have fun.