PDA

View Full Version : On the Caney today.

Alphahawk
08-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Got one good one today. Did not measure as wanted to release quickly as possible but estimate 25 inches. Great boat work by my nephew or could not have landed this fish. Using 4# test with 4# test leader. For some reason the Caney smelled of sulfur today.

Regards

bd-
08-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Cool! I'm hoping to get out there this weekend and catch a few.

The sulfur is a byproduct of anaerobic bacteria decomposing organic matter in deep water above Center Hill Dam. In late summer, deep water below the thermocline stratifies and cannot mix with surface water. It's too deep and far away from sunlight for plants to photosynthesize oxygen, so bacteria and other living organisms gradually consume all the oxygen in the deep water until it's gone. Once the oxygen is depleted, certain bacteria thrive in the hypoxic conditions. These bacteria decompose amino acids in decaying organic matter, creating hydrogen sulfide gas as a byproduct of their metabolic process. The oxygen in the deep water will not be restored until winter, when the surface temps get down into the 40s and the lake "turns over," once again circulating oxygen-rich surface water into the depths.

I have smelled the sulfur smell below Percy Priest Dam many times, but I have not encountered it before below Center Hill. This is another sign that the water quality above the dam is especially poor this year. Thank god for the sluice gate, because without it the water coming through the dam would probably be so low in oxygen that the trout would really be having some trouble surviving right now.

bd

Travis C.
08-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Nice fish.

I will be up there again pokin around at night next weekend. I am already antsy for some new tricks to try.

Alphahawk
08-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Cool! I'm hoping to get out there this weekend and catch a few.

The sulfur is a byproduct of anaerobic bacteria decomposing organic matter in deep water above Center Hill Dam. In late summer, deep water below the thermocline stratifies and cannot mix with surface water. It's too deep and far away from sunlight for plants to photosynthesize oxygen, so bacteria and other living organisms gradually consume all the oxygen in the deep water until it's gone. Once the oxygen is depleted, certain bacteria thrive in the hypoxic conditions. These bacteria decompose amino acids in decaying organic matter, creating hydrogen sulfide gas as a byproduct of their metabolic process. The oxygen in the deep water will not be restored until winter, when the surface temps get down into the 40s and the lake "turns over," once again circulating oxygen-rich surface water into the depths.

I have smelled the sulfur smell below Percy Priest Dam many times, but I have not encountered it before below Center Hill. This is another sign that the water quality above the dam is especially poor this year. Thank god for the sluice gate, because without it the water coming through the dam would probably be so low in oxygen that the trout would really be having some trouble surviving right now.

bd
Like you I have smelled it many times below Percy...never knew the real reason though.....great explanation. But I have never smelled it below Center Hill and last couple of years I fished below there close to 5 days a week all through the summer and into the fall.

Regards

chaseasl
08-05-2011, 09:12 AM
good one