PDA

View Full Version : calf killer hybrids

jad2t
07-15-2011, 04:22 PM
About two months ago I found a little hidden access point into the calf killer with lots of wadeable water and slaughtered the hybrids on rapalas and 3" grubs. I caught a total of 16 in about 4 hours. All were in the pound to pound and a half range so nothing huge but still catching 16 is a blast. I figured I found a hot spot and kept it a secret. I went back about 3 weeks ago thinking the water had gone down from the recent downpour and I was wrong. The river was really high, fast, and looked like chocolate milk. I didn't dare wade in it but I casted from the bank and caught nothing. So yesterday I went early in the morning. The river was back down to normal and clear. I figured I'd tear the hybrids up again. Not a single one. I'm just recently getting into fishing for hybrids and rockfish so I don't know too much about them. Do they commonly change locations? Is it possible that I could fish that same stretch of river a dozen more times and not catch a single one or is it more possible that it was just one of those days where no matter what you do, the fish weren't biting. I figured that was a good stretch of river that I could go to over and over again and catch a decent amount of hybrids... as long as I kept it a secret:D

txnative
07-15-2011, 05:38 PM
You found a hot spot that lasted 1 trip ? Yep, that's hybrid/striper fishing, lol. These fish do move, A LOT. Some areas hold fish consistently, but they're either in open water over structure or in rivers. Keep hitting your new area, if hybrids liked it, they'll return. Make a mental note of conditions, both water and weather-wise, and try to go when things line up. Don't get discouraged if 2 out of 3 trips suck, though, it's normal. I just bought another kayak and once i get it rigged up, i'll be open to taking 'em out to places i know of that hold fish during the summer. We can get together and chase tn zebrafish.

Chris

bd-
07-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Based on the size of the fish and the location, I think you may have been catching white bass rather than hybrids. I couldn't be positive without seeing a photo. However, I am not aware of any hybrids stocked in the Calfkiller or any of the reservoirs on it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

bd

livebaitech
07-18-2011, 02:51 PM
My guess is that they were probably white bass. If you were there in the Spring, you probably caught them on their spawning run up the Calfkiller. This usually occurs around the time that Dogwood Trees start blooming, depends on the water temp. (my guess is somewhere in the 60 degree range)

clean air
07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I would have to agree with livebaittech.The whites on the duck can be caught from late march till mid may then they move back to the main lake.I see so many people that have rockfish,hybrids,and whites confused.Check the twra web site and see if they have stocked rockfish or hybrids in your river system.If they dont then you were catching whites.I had a game warden get confused below Nickajack dam.I was catching whites and he thought they were hybrids.After arguing with him about what they were he got his book out and realized he was wrong.

jad2t
07-18-2011, 09:46 PM
bd - heres a pic of one of them, maybe it will help identify what they were. Either way, they're gone now.

thehick176
07-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Look like White bass to me.

bd-
07-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Yup. White bass. Good eating right there.

bd

jad2t
07-19-2011, 02:06 PM
dangit man, i could have taken some home to eat then! i had my cooler with me but released them all because i thought they were hybrids.

fisher01
07-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Yep, thats a white bass, notice the center line extends well into the tail, lack of uneven broken lines on lower half and a hybrid would be more football shaped.

clean air
07-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Small hybrids that are that size seem to have lots of broken lines.You can also tell by the tooth patch on the tongue.

bd-
07-19-2011, 06:47 PM
The lines on the hybrids will be darker and thicker too, whereas white bass have thinner fainter lines.

bd

livebaitech
07-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Now you have next spring to look forward to ! They will be back around the same time of year, +/- a week or two, depending upon the weather.