PDA

View Full Version : Skipjack

McCord
07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Im having trouble catching skipjack below old hick and cheatham. Are they there yet? Whats the best way to catch them? Saw guys at cordell using sabiki and tearing them up, tried them at cheatham and nothing

txnative
07-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Go thru this thread, i posted my skippie-catchin' knowledge for all to see, lol
http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=4257

Chris

Travis C.
07-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Bank or Boat?

If bank I do far better trying to catch them below Old Hick if they have the generator next to the bank on where you can reach the swift current. I have never tried the sabiki rig yet. Usually throw on two white twister tails and jerk them back as fast as I can.

jad2t
07-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Man I demolish those things below Center Hill Dam. It's almost too easy once you get into them. Stand on the side across from the steps and I use a 2.5" pumpkinseed grub with a green tail and a white jighead. Almost everyone I catch is over a foot long too. I'm never actually trying to catch them but they're still fun

nofish
07-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Are that skippies at oh dam in bunches yet?

Reel Tune
07-21-2011, 12:45 AM
I saw a few dead ones on the bank near the OH Dam today.

nofish
07-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Fished from 4-6pm today on the hville side and caught around 30 skippies and 10 or so shad on a sabiki rig. Are you allowed to use castnets by the dam? I left mine at home cause I didn't think you could use them close to the dam. After I fished for about an hour some people showed up with castnets.

lupanfreitag
07-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Legally you are not but if you are catching bait I have never seen DNR cite anyone for cast netting shad. they have asked for my lis while I was using the cast net near the dam. They never said a word. I use it but rarely right next to the dam. If the current is right, the lock wall is a good place to throw.

I want the throng of skippies to arrive. The rock fish are there. If you have bait, you have fish.