PDA

View Full Version : Panama City Beach July 2011

baxterboy
07-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Every year we take a family trip to the panhandle of the Sunshine state and I usually slip away 3 or 4 mornings to wet a line.

I've caught some really nice bass in the Destin area and I know the lakes and ponds there pretty well, but this year we're going to Panama City Beach instead.

Anyone have any recommendations for freshwater ponds/lakes in the PCB area? Usually the golf course ponds are loaded with big bass if you can get there before the first tee times.

Thanks,
James

Reel Tune
07-11-2011, 08:43 AM
When I'm that close to salt I find it hard to fish for freshwater bass. I'm in the planning of our 3rd trip there this year here in Sept/Oct. I think we are going to hire a kayak guide this time. Good luck and let see some pics of those Florida golf course bass.

Jeremy

HunterP
07-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Yeah I am right there with you Kayak. I grew up in Florida till I left for college and if I ever go back I am hitting the Salt Water Flats or getting off shore. Baxter you need to set up a trip to catch some Redfish! Have you hooked for life my friend. Attached is a picture of a nice slot size Red I caught last time I made it home. My Dad was poling our boat from the platform and I was up front sight fishing. Saw this red "tailing" and I put a Salt Water Gulp Shrimp on his nose and that was all she wrote...

Reel Tune
07-11-2011, 12:48 PM
One of the trips to Florida this year was to fish in the Jacksonville Classic where we lived for almost 5 years. (Sarah finished in the top 10 out of over 400 participants) Reds, Flounder, and Sheepshead is what we would fish for when we lived there. I sure miss it, but Tennessee is growing on me (Stripers, and Smallmouth).

HunterP
07-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I have yet to catch a decent size of either one of those. I went to College in West TN then got my Master's @ Murray St. in Murray, KY and just moved to Murfreesboro for my job... So trying to figure out some spots to fish at where I can catch some decent fish... By the way your Kayak is sick... How much does something like that run?

Reel Tune
07-11-2011, 02:31 PM
By the way your Kayak is sick... How much does something like that run?

Thanks man. The Hobie Pro Angler runs around $2300 bare bones, and then the sky is the limit to what you want to add livewells, lights, all kinds of electronics, rod holders, bait tanks etc.. The Coosa's are about $1000 and can be outfitted nicely for another $300-$500. I think by the time we make our next Gulf trip we will have a couple more Hobie's, probably some Revolutions. THe Hobie's are excellent for the Ocean and when trolling.

baxterboy
07-14-2011, 10:58 AM
When I'm that close to salt I find it hard to fish for freshwater bass. I'm in the planning of our 3rd trip there this year here in Sept/Oct. I think we are going to hire a kayak guide this time. Good luck and let see some pics of those Florida golf course bass.

Jeremy

I'm planning to saltwater kayak fish in the Everglades in October. I've never fished in a kayak before so I'm definitely looking forward to it.
For this trip I'm landlocked because of budget and time so I'll have to fish the surf or the golf course ponds near the resort. If we get any pigs I'll post photos.

Reel Tune
07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
In May we took the kayaks and fished in the Everglades, and the Keys. We had a blast, but our Sept/Oct trip we are going to bite the bullet and hire a Guide for a couple days. Have a great trip.

HunterP
07-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Kayak... you should plan a trip down to Titusville Florida and fish Mosquito Lagoon for Red fish... It would be a great trip... well worth it!

Andre
09-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Did anyone explore the inland dune in Fort Walton County, I have heard one can get/catch redfish & bass in the same lakes.

Reel Tune
09-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Did anyone explore the inland dune in Fort Walton County, I have heard one can get/catch redfish & bass in the same lakes.

We used the Lagoon for catching/cast netting baitfish, to take out 60-80 FOW to release on 7/0 Octopus Circle hooks for some afternoon excitement. The Lagoon looks good for fishing, a Gulb Shrimp, or Live Shrimp on a 1/4oz jig head or popping cork would probably do well. Or early morning or when there's some chop on the water a Top Dog, Zara Spook, Skitter Walk, or BaDonka Donk in bone is what I've had the best luck with.

Reel Tune
09-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Kayak... you should plan a trip down to Titusville Florida and fish Mosquito Lagoon for Red fish... It would be a great trip... well worth it!

I've herd a lot of good about Mosquito Lagoon, but never fished it. The trip coming up is Panhandle exclusively, and this will be our last Florida trip for the year, but maybe next year we can do the Mosquito Lagoon once.

Carrie22
09-28-2011, 01:58 AM
well, you lo0k more concerned about fishing thing...so, would start with that pal..PCB offers the finest Sport Fishing in the world. you'd be smitten by the emerald green waters, with red fishes swinging along the waves..!
and the accommodation too is reasonable...!

enjoy,...aloha..!;)