PDA

View Full Version : Cookeville Area Fishing

RazorbackFishing
07-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Hello all,

First of all this is a great resource, love the site, and all the helpful people.

I'm looking for an area to bank fish in the cookeville, tn area. We have done the Cank Creek thing and don't enjoy it much, as the kids (twin 3 year olds) don't usually catch much on their worms. We do like City Lake as they catch a lot, though I usually don't...

We bring our kids everytime we go, usually 2+ times a week and they love it. We will go as far as Dale Hollow and Center Hill to fish, but were wondering where some specific areas that might be good for both the boys and myself (and wife) might be.

Thanks in advance!

tjustin
07-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Hello all,

First of all this is a great resource, love the site, and all the helpful people.

I'm looking for an area to bank fish in the cookeville, tn area. We have done the Cank Creek thing and don't enjoy it much, as the kids (twin 3 year olds) don't usually catch much on their worms. We do like City Lake as they catch a lot, though I usually don't...

We bring our kids everytime we go, usually 2+ times a week and they love it. We will go as far as Dale Hollow and Center Hill to fish, but were wondering where some specific areas that might be good for both the boys and myself (and wife) might be.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah cane creek is only fun in the winter time after they stock the trout . Have you tried below city lake dam ? on down the creek it turns into is fun for bass Havent fished it in a while though so i woulndt know how the fishing is. I always fish some ponds or go to centerhill .

bd-
07-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Pickett State Park is about an hour and a half from you and has a nice little lake with trout. You can rent a canoe there and cast rooster tails or other small spinners and catch some nice ones.

The Obey River below Dale Hollow also has good trout fishing. The creek below the hatchery is a good place for kids to fish.

Cordell Hull has some good bluegill and bass fishing.

bd

jad2t
07-08-2011, 09:41 PM
I live in Cookeville for the time being and I've done a lot of exploring around here. Don't waste your time at Cane Creek Park, that lake sucks. Head down to Sparta and fish the Calfkiller river. Its full of large and smallmouth bass, hybrids, trout, and I've even heard of Muskie in there too. Also, the Caney Fork river is good for trout. It's not what it used to be, but its still a really nice river full of small trout and occasionally a large one. Fishing below Center Hill dam can be good too for stripers, bass, and walleye. Of course, Center Hill Lake is fantastic but I don't know anything about it. I've never fished it since I don't have a boat. I have waders and I'm a river fisherman, not much on the big lakes.

fisherman550
07-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Razorback-Head West on I-40 to the Smithville/McMinnville exit. Turn left and go over the interstate. You will find Floating Mill a few miles down the road on your right. It has a campground and play area, also a beach/swimming area. There is some great bank fishing for bluegill there.
Also, on the same road is Hurricane day use area with some bank fishing places there. Center Hill is a great fishing lake, just don't give up on one try since water levels change on a regular basis.
Hope this helps a little and good fishing to you and the family. Love to see a family fishing together.
Jeff

tjustin
07-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I live in Cookeville for the time being and I've done a lot of exploring around here. Don't waste your time at Cane Creek Park, that lake sucks. Head down to Sparta and fish the Calfkiller river. Its full of large and smallmouth bass, hybrids, trout, and I've even heard of Muskie in there too. Also, the Caney Fork river is good for trout. It's not what it used to be, but its still a really nice river full of small trout and occasionally a large one. Fishing below Center Hill dam can be good too for stripers, bass, and walleye. Of course, Center Hill Lake is fantastic but I don't know anything about it. I've never fished it since I don't have a boat. I have waders and I'm a river fisherman, not much on the big lakes.

The biggest bass pulled from cane creek is like 8 pounds but it has so much fishing pressure and you never hit a decent fish.

Travis C.
07-09-2011, 07:40 AM
On Dale Hollow the point that runs out on the left facing upstream from the Dam is a good place to fish. I believe it also has Cedar Hill Marina on it. There is or was a swinging bridge connecting the two parts of the point. Fish the main lake sides and out on the point. People like to fish around the Horse Creek marina area as well.

The Obey below is nice and about 1.5 miles wading but rest boat. The Hatchery Creek is great for kids, newbies to fishing or getting the skunk off. Currently most of Hatchery is closed and with all the heavy rain this year they are fixing a lot of the creeks embankments. The actual fish Hatchery itself is worth a trip (while we still have it).

Standing Stone State Park is a smaller lake up towards Dale Hollow as well. There used to be monster bass/big blue gill in it and you could rent paddle boats to get around.

You can go south on 111 there around Cookeville to Fall Creek Falls State Park. Very family friendly very good late spring-summer-fall fishing. Big blue gills (state record 3lbs) and big catfish whole eat them (state record channel 41lbs).

RazorbackFishing
07-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies. We are actually going to Floating Mill tomorrow to let the kids swim & play and I may fish a bit as well.

I like the paddle boat idea, my wife could take one boy and I could take the other and help them and get a few casts in ourselves.