PDA

View Full Version : Old Hickory

lilmule
06-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Any grass left after the flood? Any tips as have a T there last of next month.

Buccaneer
06-29-2011, 07:30 AM
Anything other than the cane grass growing near the banks and shallow points will be hard to find. Have not seen millfoil in Old Hickory in quite some time now, even long before the floods of May 2010. Current flow through the system has been steady and cooler water coming down from Wolf Creek dam through Cordell Hull seems to have taken a major toll on the grass. Depends on water temps when you get here, but it has been cooler than normal up to now. Perhaps by late July the classic summer pattern of river channel drops, shell beds and structure will be in play. Fish are scattered now.

oldhick
06-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Fish are scattered now.

Agreed. Can't find anything consistent on the main lake. Every once in a while I get something going in a creek, then it's gone.

Anyone out there on any pattern at all they want to share?

Usually I'm doing well on the main lake this time of year.

Travis C.
06-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Anyone out there on any pattern at all they want to share?

The other night all the fish that I caught or got bites from were on the main body rocky banks with scattered timber. Don't know if that holds true now but I did fish a couple areas with either or on them with no bites.

It may have had to do more with water color being muddy than anything else. That will really push them tight to cover and I guess they must have felt the wood on those rocks were more comforting.:confused:

countryboycansurvive
06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
I miss the milfoil. Early 90's, Spencer Creek. Skipping a plastic frog across the top of the milfoil in a light rain. You couldn't keep them off the hook. Milfoil by the acre.

Scott715
07-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Fished today for about 2.5 hours and ended up with 3 LM and a crappie. The biggest LM was 16" (nearly 2 lbs), caught on topwater Rapala skitterpop out of some weeds. I was almost late to work because a tournament had ended at Shute's just as I was pulling in. A couple of guys had some monster LM, couple of them easily between 5 and 6 lbs. The weed beds in sailboat cove have grown since I last saw them. I normally travel up to Bluegrass marina, but didn't today. I know there's not a ton of grass like there used to be, but there's definitely more than JPP. That's why I love fishing Hickory, grass/weeds and boat docks.

Buccaneer
07-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I know this post is worthless without pics but I didn't take any. I hammered them this morning beginning with first fish at 0515. All fish on buzz baits near the shore grass. Water temps really stunned me, 69 when I launched and 69 when I got off around 0930. Fished Avondale to Cedar Creek and back, best fishing was anywhere near grass. Saw some possible topwater action but hard to tell, by the time I would get there it would die down. Caught 12, best fish around 3.5 everything else was a 2lb chunk. They really look heatlhy, but no telling what they are eating I can't find any concentrated shad schools. This water temp and hard current through the main cahnnel is really messing me up.

bd-
07-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Did you go up in Drakes Creek at all? I think I may have seen you. If it wasn't you, then someone else was hammering them with buzzbaits in the shore grass in Drake's too.

bd

Scott715
07-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I caught either largemouths or spots (throwing em back fast to catch the next one) and a bunch of stripe killin bait around 7pm today on Percy Priest. I kept watching fish busting the water but they wouldn't take a rattle trap or my skitterpop. I finally caught one on the skitter and the fish threw tiny chewed up minnows everywhere. I knew I had to throw something smaller that represented the bait they were chasing. The trusty ole rooster tail came out of the tackle box and then I started killing them. Caught at least 10 bass & stripe and lost 5 more on the way back to the boat.

The reason I mention this although I was on Priest (and not Hickory) was because all of the fish here were also FAT. The water temp was 83 - 85, so considerably higher at JPP. I will probably try to go out in the same place tomorrow to see if I can get in them again. These guys are feeding on the bait. I assume the same is happening at Hickory.

With the huge LM that I saw at the tourney pulling in to Shute's at Old Hickory last night I knew the bass were biting. I figured better luck was in the morning when the water temps were really cool. Glad you mentioned your results. I'm going to try and get out to Hickory next week after the July 4th weekend. Seems that Hickory's temps are definitely staying cooler and I would love to go after the topwater bite in the morning before sun up.

Travis C.
07-02-2011, 06:58 AM
I caught either largemouths or spots (throwing em back fast to catch the next one) I assume the same is happening at Hickory.

On Tuesday up in Drakes there were big schools of little minnows about the size of you pinky finger. The skippies were in them pretty good during the middle of the day. I can imagine the bass are or will be too at some point during the day.

thehick176
07-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Is anyone finding shad out in the main channel anywhere? I fish the upper end of The Hick from the steam plant up. All the concentrated shad i'm finding are still in the creeks, which isn't a bad thing because I too am killing them on topwaters. But, at the same time I am more of a ledge/hump fisherman this time of year and I'm striking out on all my spots that usually hold good numbers of good bass.

I am suspecting the heavier than normal current and temps are the main culprit but was curious as to whats going on further down lake because the river widens and the current slows quite a bit.

Be safe out there and watch for the inconsiderate pleasure boaters!!!!!!

Travis C.
07-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I am more of a ledge/hump fisherman this time of year and I'm striking out on all my spots that usually hold good numbers of good bass.

I don't think they are there yet. I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. The water was and is cooler longer this year. Everything is off schedule a bit.

The baitfish I found this week were way back in the creeks.