PDA

View Full Version : Center Hill Sunday

creeksmallie
06-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Went today on a whim, knowing it would be tough with the Sunday boat traffic. Now I know why I fish during the week. We hit the bridge about 9 and had 4 kentuckys quick then they started sandblasting over our heads and we left. Took a swim break and then checked 7 spots for bedding gills, ski boats and jet skis in most coves I fished, We caught bunches of 4 to 6 inchers and found the slabs 8 to 9 inchers in 7 to 10 ft of water. Another swim break and back to the kentuckys on main channel, wind and boat traffic made it rough. We found a cove and took an hour swim break and the boat trafffic slowed about 3 so I rigged up the worm harness and we trolled for walleye in the mud lines (boat traffic causes) for two hours. Jackie caught the biggest 18.5 inches. We ended up with 9 kentuckys , 4 catfish ( 12 to 13 inchers) 4 walleye,1 smallie,1 largemouth lots of shellcracker,bluegill,pumkinseed,and greensunfish and some more freckles and tan lines. We brought home 7 gills,1 walleye,3 spots for the table. If the big gills are bedding they are not where they were last year. They have moved off the deep trees( I catch them in when the spawn is not on) in the last week and seem to be moving shallow This full moon should get them going. All in all a great day on the lake fishing and swimming and just relaxing. Mike

Reel Tune
06-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Great report, and nice Walleye. I've never fished Center Hill, but would like to.

Jeremy

creeksmallie
06-14-2011, 04:42 AM
Great place for the Yak during the week. Now before Memorial Day during the week it is not very busy.

If you go with the yak I would suggest Floating Mill. To creeks close buy and secure area. Indian Creek they say is not as bad (for break ins) as it used to be. Lots of good places to put in. I fish out of Hurricane Bridge Ramp.
Headed back Friday.
Mike

Reel Tune
06-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the tips Mike. What is the main black bass species? Smallmouth, Spots, of Largemouth?

Jeremy

creeksmallie
06-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Spots are on all day long. Smallies and largemouth best at night in summer. But Early morning they will hit the cranks and shakey heads, carolina rigs.

Some good gills and crappie and walleye also.
I believe the lake is fishing as good as it has in the last five years.
Mike

bd-
06-14-2011, 05:38 PM
We had that long period of time this spring with high water on the lake, after it has been drawn down for several years. I think that probably stimulated the fishing a lot.

I imagine after they finally get all the work on the dam done, the first year where they go back up from 630 to normal summer pool will have some spectacular fishing.

bd

fisherman550
06-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Catching walleye down near the dam area this time of year? Guess that blows the theory that they go to Rock Island to spawn, then spend most of the summer working their way back down river.
Great report and great fish!

creeksmallie
06-15-2011, 08:17 PM
I was fishing more midlake. But, My understanding of Walleye( I may be wrong) Is that when the restocking efforts took place, they stocked a lake strain of walleye and a river strain. Some of the strains did cross and that caused some problems. So my thinking some head towards rock island for the spawn and some never leave the lake and move up.Originally we had the yellow river walleye before the dams, (again this is what i have read and heard over the years someone else may be able to shed more light on this subject.) I have caught walleye every month of the year from mid lake to the dam (over the years). This summer I am going to do more trolling for them mid lake to the dam. I have not targeted them much for the last 7 years. They are all over the lake and like the smallies I believe they are thriving again.
Mike

tjustin
06-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Nice walleye , Ive been fishing below the dam for them and last night i got 8 with 4 keepers and a 21inch kicker . The night before i got 9 with 5 keepers and a 24 inch kicker and lost a really nice one at the bank.