PDA

View Full Version : Pay Lakes

Adough
06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
It's been a long time since I've been to a "stocked for profit" lake. I remember my father taking me when I was young, and loving it. Now I'm the father. Can anyone recommend some good pay lakes in MidTn? Marrowbone is out, never had any luck there.
Thanks

drrxnupe
06-01-2011, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't completely cancel out Marrowbone. The only catchless trip I had up there was January '08 when there was an inch of ice on the lake surface. Your other options are the Williams Port lakes. I've fished both and if I had to rank 'em, MarrowBone would be #1.

Reel Tune
06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Marrowbone over Williamsport?

Jeremy

drrxnupe
06-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Marrowbone over Williamsport?

Jeremy

Yep...all day long. Maybe its been the luck of the draw. The only thing I've had more success catching on Williams Port were strip and maybe crappie.

Travis C.
06-01-2011, 09:04 PM
We used to fish there quite a bit back in the early 90's. Some where around then maybe 93 was an ice storm which put a whole lot of timber down in the lake. Before bas fishing was pretty good and after took a lag but I think it was so much cover now available. Haven't been since mid 90's.

It had some of the biggest shellcrackers I have ever caught in there. I assume they are still there.

The thing I am most interested in is the trout. They have been stocking there for at least 7 years now and the fish will hold over since it is spring fed. I have heard of several fish over 5lbs being caught catfishing and some others larger lost.

If you go please post a report would like to hear how its doing these days.

Catchingtrout
06-02-2011, 08:33 AM
I've fished Marrowbone several times (1-2 hrs each time) over the last few months (Bank only) and not had great luck. No one else was doing well either. Skunked a time or two then decent Bass size/numbers and small Bream others. The bad catching days I have had fronts come through. There is good structure and a lot more lake to cover by boat so it's still worth the trip for me.

bd-
06-02-2011, 05:08 PM
If you're talking about TWRA managed lakes where you get a day permit to fish, Marrowbone and Williamsport both have their good points. I like Williamsport for hybrids but not quite as well for bass. I need to fish Marrowbone more.

If you're talking about pay-to-fish or pay-by-the-pound "pay lakes" where you pay to fish for catfish, your best ones locally are going to be the Gallatin Pay Lake right north of town on Hwy 109, or Twin Lakes up near Graball. Check and make sure Twin Lakes is open before you head up there. It used to be an awesome lake but it closed for a while due to the owner having some health problems.

Fishing pay lakes isn't really my bag - especially right now when the channel and blue cats are up shallow spawning and I can catch a ton on Old Hickory. However, there are times when I've had a fish fry coming up and I needed a bunch of catfish filets, and I'd rather take a couple kids to a pay lake and let them have fun catching a basket load of fish, rather than just paying by the pound to buy them at Kroger. When those fish fry days come around, the catfish pay lakes can be a fun alternative to just buying fish at the store.

bd

drrxnupe
06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I've fished Marrowbone several times (1-2 hrs each time) over the last few months (Bank only) and not had great luck. No one else was doing well either. Skunked a time or two then decent Bass size/numbers and small Bream others. The bad catching days I have had fronts come through. There is good structure and a lot more lake to cover by boat so it's still worth the trip for me.

My better days have been fishing from a boat. You really have to cover a lot of territory. 60 acres can easily be covered in a few hours. The bank directly across from bait store usually has a lot of tall grass that extends out about 10-12 feet from the bank. Throw a topwater lure and retrieve through the grass and hold on. I've caught 4-5lb largemouth on numerous occasions from that hole. In the cove on to the right of that bank has been awesome in the past as well. There's a steep drop off with fallen timber that holds bass, monster bluegill, and shell crackers. When the channel cats spawn, they pile up in this area as well.

clean air
06-03-2011, 04:39 PM
You can pay to fish at the trout farm in bedford county.Its called Granny Fishes trout farm.They have several ponds stocked with trout and catfish.They used to charge by the pound.You will catch something on every cast and that will get expensive very quick.My uncle took some of us grand kids when we were little and I remeber that we started catching fish like crazy and within 30min he had a huge bill for all the trout and cat we caught.If you go there its not fishing its catching!

jackson
06-03-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm not much of a pay lake fisherman but if it's a pay by the pound lake and you throw everything back do you just get to fish all day for free? If you find a place as good as the place clean air mentioned that'd be a good deal.

bd-
06-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Most of the pay by the pound places either say you keep what you catch, or if you say you want to catch and release fish, there's some other flat rate amount you can pay.

bd

jackson
06-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks BD. I've always wondered how they worked.

Doc Marshall
06-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Ha!

I'm new to the forum -- had some login issues for weeks -- but I have a tale to tell about Marrowbone.

I just moved to Nashville from NYC and, as soon as I read about Marrowbone, I headed straight to Joelton to try my luck. Since I don't own a boat, it seemed like a perfect fit.

20 minutes later I was greeted by a beautiful, serene lake with pristine shores and zero housing developement. I thought I'd hit the jackpot. It made Percy Priest look like a Soviet-era gravel pit. I rented a jon boat for peanuts and jumped in. Thing is, though, they only give you a canoe paddle to maneuver your way around (no oars?). This worked well enough for a few minutes, but a little ways from shore, the wind made it dang near impossible to get anywhere. I spent hours fighting the wind in small coves and more than once ended up pinned to shore. They don't give you an anchor either, so fishing was...not fun.

I returned with an electric motor and anchor the next week. This is the ideal setup. Within minutes I was casting at all the cover the I could find.

No bites. Nada. I tried everything: Senkos, cranks, spinners, jigs, and crickets. I vowed to return.

After four trips and not a SINGLE BASS, I wrote the darned place off. It made no sense -- you'd fish the cover and the shores...nothing. You'd try a little deeper. Nothing. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I returned -- I love the peace out there -- and tried a jig and trailer combo that I finally got the skunk off of me (see below). I wanted to stick around, but a lightening storm blew in and forced me to head back. By the time I got back to shore, it had stopped raining. I fished from the dock and immediately caught my first ever trout, which I ate that evening.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/beaudoing/MarrowboneBass.jpg

Anyway, I find Marrowbone to be a very tough, if beautiful, lake.

drrxnupe
06-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the commentary Doc. I was beginning to feel like the only person that likes and appreciates Marrowbone. I honestly have yet to go this year but hope to soon. Goodluck on your future outings.

Catchingtrout
06-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Nice Bass Doc Marshall! That's what I'm looking for up at Marrowbone. That and some nice Shell Cracker and Blue Gil.

clean air
06-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Granny fishes used to not let you release fish.There was a guy that worked there that walked around keeping an eye on everybody.He would give you a warning first if you released a fish.If you kept doing it you would be asked to leave.That was 25 yrs ago and the only time I've been.I dont know what the rules are now.