PDA

View Full Version : Canoeing OH or JPP?

MattC
05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Just got a nice 14 foot canoe with 3 seats and a built in cooler, also came with car carrying kit and 2 paddles all for about $400. I am looking forward to taking it to the lakes this summer. Where should i put in on either lake. I heard should probly stay out of middle of lake becuase of boaters so should i just stay in coves or am i safe near the shore and in shallow water. Anyone know any good spots or coves for bass? I appreciate any help.

javelinmatt
05-17-2011, 12:25 AM
On priest there are large no wake zones, one very accessible at the vivrette creek boar ramp, but not very deep for the most part. The other that I can think of at this time is the pooled knob area. Would be most accessible from the pooled knob camp ground boat dock but not sure if they would let you without camping there. If they did they would probably charge like 7-10 bucks. That would be where I would choose to fish from a canoe. Much safer and great fishing back there. Next closest ramp is bryants grove but you would have to cross the channel. Not something I would suggest that area of the lake. I guess stewards, fall, and spring creek wouldn't be too bad either. Both forks of the stones are nice but don't produce a ton of fish and you still have to worry about people flying around back there. Not sure on hickory. I do enjoy getting back in cedar creek when water levels allow me. You would have no problem 75% of the year in a canoe. You could launch at cedar creek marina with no problem.

MCVolskayaker
05-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I kayak Hamilton creek at the sail boat cove boat ramp.
The whole cove is no wake you have plenty of room to fish.
Water depth is 5ft.-45ft. To good points to fish and fish atracters in the far cove. I have caught 17in. Smallmouths,32in. Rockfish,crappie,small lg mouth,hand size bluegill,yellowcats,9lb.channel cat all in the last year mainly on crankbaits and itsy bitsy minnows you can get wal mart
I cast alot but I also troll the cranks 10-20ft of water.