PDA

View Full Version : Cicadas

spd92
05-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Anybody have any luck fishing with cicadas? Last time they were out i was only about 5. If so, what did ya catch with em?

MattC
05-12-2011, 08:43 PM
My school is fortunate enough to have a pond full of sunfish with a bridge over it. There were cicadas all over the campus and at lunch me and my friends tossed like 20 in the pond. As soon as they hit the water 15 sunfish attacked each one. I might have to bring a rod over there one night.

bd-
05-12-2011, 11:58 PM
EVERYTHING eats the cicadas. Bass, panfish, catfish, carp, you name it.

bd

Pnut2
05-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I know this is a little late. Haven't checked these forums in a while.

Me and my buddy took our bass boat out this past Saturday. We loaded a little ole tube style cricket holder full of cicadas to see if they would work.

Within 30 minutes they were all gone due to them being eaten by something! Evertime we would throw em in the water a bluegill or a sunfish would snatch it up almost immediatly. We had to have caught about 17 or 18 fish. The only reason we stopped was we ran out of cicadas. :mad:

It was really really fun.

We were just fishing a bank between Drakes creek Marina and Saunders ferry Park on Old Hickory Lake.

Baxter83
05-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Yep, everything eats em! You may be catching a bunch of little bream and all of a sudden pull out a 5 lb largemouth. Kinda like using silk worms. fun fun fun

Ken C
05-20-2011, 05:49 AM
They're here...FINALLY!!! I tied this fake in 1998. I've been waiting 13 years for the XIX cicada brood to emerge again. With any luck, for a couple of weeks, I'll have more fun than you can have, without worrying about getting arrested!

Travis C.
05-20-2011, 06:55 AM
I'd sharpie that bottom black if you can.

It looks good. I have my 7wt with a black/red bass popper ready for them to show.

clean air
05-20-2011, 01:54 PM
I havent seen any cicades yet in the manchester area.Have they started showing up in other areas of the state yet?

Ken C
05-21-2011, 06:05 AM
I expect that today, in Tullahoma, we will start to experience the "incessant din" that will last for a couple of weeks. They should be invading Manchester soon.
Travis: after they've been out a few days, the bottom of the abdomen lightens up and the segments show up, so you can go either way.

robhal11
05-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Went 4 times past week and the carp were busting them around the banks. Also tons of shad being chased everywhere.

jad2t
05-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Reporting from Cookeville, the cidadas are everywhere! I have a large popper that sort of resembles a cicada, green body, red eyes, and feathers on the back that are the same color as cicada wings. I used a sharpie to color the bottom of it black and I can't wait to hit the streams tomorrow to see what happens.

Travis C.
05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Still none of those things here in White House. :confused:

Adough
05-22-2011, 09:11 PM
They're all over Nashville. Fished two different locations(successfully) both times with a live cicada on the first cast a fish was caught. Almost took the fun out of it....nah....most fun I've had with a pole in a long time.

clean air
05-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Still not in manchester yet.

Turkeyhunter_2008
05-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Still none of those things here in White House. :confused:

Yeah it is kind of odd. In Gallatin they are everywhere but I have not seen a single one on the north side of "the ridge" towards Portland, Westmoreland, Laffeyette, Springfield, White House etc. I asked around at work and no one else has seen them in these areas either.

brandonnash
05-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Fishing in the stones river yesterday it was amazing how loud they were. Where I was fishing the river is thick tree lined and by the time I left my ears were ringing. It made it difficult to talk to my buddy just a few yards away. The ones falling in the river were getting attacked.

RiverShoes
05-24-2011, 08:43 AM
I fished the marina at Ashland city yesterday, and saw several get sucked down when they fell onto the water. Was pretty cool.

Baxter83
05-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Still not in manchester yet.

This is weird. I'm at AEDC and don't hear them at all, but at home in Winchester you can barely hear yourself talk from them. I guess they just haven't made their way over here yet... :confused:

clean air
05-26-2011, 02:34 PM
I was at the ballfield in Manchester yesterday and could hear some off in the distance and saw one in the driveway at my house but thats it for around hear.We were covered in them last time they came out.Maybe they will start showing up soon.

Adough
05-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Cleanair, If they haven't emerged yet doubt they will. Grab a few in a cricket holder and head to some water. It almost not even fun, almost. :p

jad2t
05-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Well here's the report from the Calfkiller river when I went on Monday. There isn't a single cicada in that part of TN, very odd. I did, however, find access to wadeable water and absolutely slaughtered striped bass and hybrids out there. I caught a total of 16, also caught a spotted bass and 2 redeye bass. It was a heck of a day. I caught most of them on a rapala and also on a soft plastic jig, pumpkinseed color.

Catchingtrout
05-27-2011, 07:35 AM
I've been through Gallatin (Creeks and OHL), White House, Springfield, Joelton (Marrowbone), Nashville, Mt. Juliet, Lebenon, Gordonsville, Lancaster, Cookeville, Carthage, Hartsville (Goose Creek), and back to Gallatin the last 2 days. The bugs are everywhere and loud. There are even frogs chiming in with the Cicada's on the Caney (Dam area) making it even louder. No matter where I stopped the fish will hammer a Cicada patterned fly. #6 Black body with Orange hilites. Olive has also been working at different times. The nice thing about the size of bug is you only get BIG fish.

GO-OKFISHIN
05-27-2011, 08:06 AM
I floated the Harpeth Wednesday. Water was higher than I like and the wind was brutal. Saw lots of Cicadas, even fished with them a couple times. Pretty slow day, I got broke off on the only decent fish I had. Everything else was Redeyes or Bluegill.